Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

256 Meg Ram and low system resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb3000

MIS
Mar 16, 2000
US
before I re-install 5 systems, does anyone have a fix for these memory leaks? The machines are powerful, 500mhzPIII, 13gig HD and 256meg 100mhz ram. the leaks are so bad that they need to reboot every other day. were running Win 98se,outlook 98, filemaker, Office 97, Quick Conference, IE5. The 129 meg Celerons in the same office are all fine.thanks

in the windows based machines, like Win98, even if you keep freeing rams, over and over again , its gona get laged, but theres a utitility that i used, for my video card, and monitor<br>
it also comes with a memory recovery thing, that frees rams, that arnt actually in use( youc an have it do it auto whenever needed, but kinda pain, or you can click the button manually) the prog is called powerstrip<br>
check tweakfiles.com for it. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(hehe, yea it was 4.5 too, least i didnt start with COBOL)

are all those programs loading at startup?<br>
if so stop it.<br>
clear out your start up folder in the start/programs menu<br>
then just load them when you use them.

guldan is right, I didnt think if you done that or not, my family compuer( one i built for them, cuz they all wanted to use mine) well they kept installing and installing, the thnig has 128, which should be sufficient for win98, but not if yer multitasking, with every single possible program you have installed at the same time. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(hehe, yea it was 4.5 too, least i didnt start with COBOL)

I build custom computer systems and in as little as 2 months<br>one on my customers had his resources at 10% right after booting!!! watch the crap by the clock!!! it herts <br><br>if this does not help give me more info on the specific machines and there exact!! software load and i'll try to help.

Are the celerons running the same software? Are they running win98SE or just win98? Besides, in an office environment, winNT 4.0 would probably be your best choice. Where I work now, they used to run win98. They switched over to NT because of stability and security issues. Until I started working here I never really liked NT. My workstation at work has been up now for about 300 hours with now problems. My win98 box at home can barely last 24 hours before it needs to be rebooted.<br><br>Besides NT isn't that much different, from a users point of view, then win98.<br><br>But that is just my 2 cents <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I disagree that Win NT is a good choice for you.<br>However, since you are redoing the machines, I would suggest Win 2000.<br>It should install on your machines without much problem and also be more<br>stable. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Computer Systems & Networking Services</a><br>

Hey if you want to eliminate memory and File systems problems altogether you could goto Linux, but unfortunatly that isnt an option for all of us, I would watch the programs being loaded, and eliminate any unnessary programs from being loaded, check out msconfig.exe, and see all the stuff in the StartUp tab to see everything thats being loaded. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Don't forget that windows 98 assigns vcache based on RAM amount. With 256 MB of Ram you might want to check that your vcache isn't filling up the system area. Also a great freeware program called maxmem can dynamically free memory areas that are still used after a program has exited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back