Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2514 router randomly "translating "" domain 255.255.255.255

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdies

Technical User
Aug 24, 2005
US
I just picked up a Cisco 2514 router (part of a home lab), and upon booting it up, it seems to randomly try to "translate 'nameofrouter' ...domain 255.255.255.255"

I've worked with cisco routers before, and understand that this will happen sometimes if you type in an unrecognized command, or address, but this will automatically do it as soon as I type in the username to log in (sometimes before I actually log in). It will do it if I do a "show run" command, or "copy run star" command.

I guess I'm just getting a little frustrated. It's running IOS 12.2, and bootstrap 11.2. And of course it brings up the "New version - may not work properly" schpeal. Could this problem be due to a incompatible IOS? Any sugguestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

Hello there, just go into conf t mode and type in no ip domain lookup exit and save.... Good luck

Well, I went ahead and did that, and now it just says translating "Router2514" (router name is Router2514)

It's just the weirdest thing. I'm trying my hardest to get this thing running smoothly, but it's just not having it. Any other ideas?

write erase
reload.

then install a newer os, all your problems are blown away, my thoughts are, don't try to fix a config you don't need or want

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

If ou dont have a new OS... try deleting the start up config if you havent already..

I've actually done a write erase, and it still did it. I've deleted and redone all the configs I can think of, and no luck. If anyone has any other insight, I'm totally stumped. I ordered a bunch of other IOS's online, so I'll test and see if the IOS is incompatible, but if not, I might be out of luck.

I'll do that as soon as I have access to the router (at home) tonight. Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back