Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2505 uplink to switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasmit

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
Hello,

I am trying to uplink to a cisco 2505 from a catalyst 2900 switch. It does not give me and uplink light on the switch. When I plug the switch in to a 2501 routers E0 port it works fine. I can use the 2505 right from the hub interfaces fine, but I cannot uplink from the hub ports on the router.

Anyone know the configuration that I am missing?

Thnx

You need to use the cross cable for uplink.

Switch to Switch ********** Cross
Router to Switch ********** Straight
PC to Switch ************** Straight
PC to PC ******************* Cross

I hope this answer your question

Asghar Khan
t2_70@yahoo.com

I am having similar issues with my 2505. I can't get a link light while trying to connect from a 10/100 hub to the 2505. I would assume Router to Switch would be the same as Router to Hub, but using a straight cable from either the uplink port or one of the 8 PC ports to the 2505 isn't working.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have a VLAN on the switch? Is that port assign to a VLAN?
That's correct router ..>Switch is same as router>>>router to hub.

"I can't get a link light while trying to connect from a 10/100 hub to the 2505".
I tested it and didn't work. In CCNA I studied that devices on the same layer uses cross over so if you're using the Hub of the 2505 that resulte as:
hub(layer 2)<------>switch(layer2)----->crossover cable

&quot;When I plug the switch in to a 2501 routers E0 port it works fine&quot;.
E0 is physical (layer 1) and switch Data Link (layer 2.
E0(layer 1)<-------> Switch(layer 2)---->straight cable

I didn't get that question on my CCNA exam, and I sure can't get an answer on the web, so I will have to ask for some help.
Here is what I got:
A 10/100 hub with 8 ports and 1 uplink port.
A Cisco 2505 router.
Can the router be connected to the hub, and would I use the uplink port or a regular port on the hub?
Thanks.

Problem has been resolved. I needed to specify an IP address on the same network (192.168.1.X). (No VLANs yet - I don't even have a switch.)
I have zero documentation on this router, and I had never seen one before I bought it, so I had to fish around for a while to find the correct combination.
Straight through cable from hub to router worked.
Link lights only illuminate when there is activity.
Cisco might want to keep information on this router available for the thousands of existing 2500 routers still in service, but I can understand their motivation for wanting everybody to dump all their hardware and buy new equipment....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back