Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2504 Router IOS copy from TFTP ???????? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cre8orrr

Technical User
May 6, 2002
AU
Hi Guys,

This is my situation:

I have Token Ring router, 2504 with 2xSerial, 1xTokenRing, 1xAUX and 1xBRI interfaces. This router is conected to another router, 2514 with 2xserial, 2xEthernet interfaces. It is connected through serial port. The 2514 router is connected to my PC via ethernet port.

Problem: i have copied the flash from both routers to my PC. I wanted to copy the flash from 2514 to 2504 router. Then i have erased the flash from 2504 and wanted to copy another flash from the PC. because of some reason the copy failed and i lost the network connection from 2504 to the PC. Now the 2504 is running in BOOT mode and therefore i am limited with options. The fact is that i cannot ping the PC. I can ping the 2514 from 2504 but i have no option in boot mode to create a route!!!! I AM TOTALLY LOST!!!! I cant connect the 2504 directly to the PC as i dont know nothing about Token Ring and i dont know any other way to connect directly to the PC. i tried to setup the serial interface of the 2514 to be in same subnet as the ethernet interface but that is not posible. i tried to make the 2514 as a tftp server but i have no room to store another IOS there... I am thinking of configuring NAT on the serial interface of 2514 router and redirect all outgoing traffic to the ethernet interface but i dont know if that is posible and i dont know how to do that.... i am running 12.1 IOS.

Can anyone give any suggestion please!!!!!

Hi

Panic not.

The IOS can be reloaded back into your router from the PC using Xmodem via hyperterminal and the console port.

Full details on

"The most powerful command you will ever use is rtfm"
EB

Excellent tip but as i could see from cisco it doesnt say that is support 2500 series routers. Anyway, will try tonight, maybe it will work. Thanks for the hope...

If the Xmodem won't work, the NAT option on 2514 surely will. For NAT, let's say you are connected this way:

2504 s0 (192.168.10.1/24) <--> (192.168.10.2/24) s0 2514 <--> e0 (192.168.20.1/24) <--> (192.168.20.2/24) PC-TFTP

you will configure NAT on 2514 this way:

ip nat inside source static udp 192.168.20.2 69 192.168.10.2 69

interface s0
ip nat outside

interface e0
ip nat inside

and now from 2504 "copy tftp flash" with TFTP server address 192.168.10.2

You can check if 2514 router is NAT-ing properly using:
show ip nat translation
debug ip nat [detail]

And that thing about making two different interfaces into same subnet will defy the point of routing. Routers route between different subnets and most of the time you have one physical interface bound to its own IP subnet. And if on this interface you have hosts, then it will act as default gateway for them.

Let me know if you tried it and need any further information:)

Peter Mesjar
CCNP, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Hi Peter, ako sa mash :) Thanks for the advice, will try tonight. However i was also thinking about using IP Unnumbered feature. I am thinking of putting the serial interface of 2514 as IP unnumbered ethernet 0, that way the S0 will have the same IP address as E0 on 2514 Router, and then the serial interface of 2504 will put some IP address from the same subnet. That way the TFTP, SO and E0 on 2514 and S1 on 2504 all will have IP addresses from the same subnet. I dont know if that is posible but i can try.
Thanks again.
P.S Are you from Slovakia?

Ano som zo Slovenska a ty? Ako sa si dostal k tek-tips? Inac vinikajuce forum:)))

Ale teraz k veci. Mam taky tusak, ze IP unnumbered v tvojom pripade nezafunguje, ale skus a daj mi vediet. Ja som to tak nikdy neskusal.

And in English:
Well I think the IP unnumbered will not work for, but give it a try and let me know if it worked. I have never tried it this way.

Peter Mesjar
CCNP, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

The solution given by Eurobadger unfortenatelly didnt work for 2500 series. It looks like it works for all other series except the 2500. The solution from Pmesjar did work. However there is very simple solution for this situation. This is the scenario:
my PC is connected through E0 interface on 2514 Router. The 2514R is connected to 2504R through serial interface. The 2504R has only BRI and TR interface (and 2x serial) and has a corrupted IOS and therefore cannot directly communicate with the PC which is TFTP server. So, i gave the PC ip address 192.168.0.1. the E0 on 2514R ip 192.168.0.2. I used ip unnumbered command on S0 on 2514R and therefore the S0 on 2514R got the same ip address of 192.168.0.2. And the S1 of 2504R ip address of 192.168.0.3. And finally, add a route on 2514R:

ip route 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.255 S0

Also dont forget a route on the PC. And all interfaces were in same subnet and communicating with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back