Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2501 Console Port Not Responding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiker

Technical User
May 18, 2000
US
I've got a 2501 I'm trying to reset back to factory defaults and I've used Cisco's method of issuing a Break command and trying to issue the "o/r 0x042" command but as soon as I issue the Break command I get an "Abort at 0x311E2D6 (PC)" message. (Actually the Hex changes depending on when I Break.)  I do receive the ">" prompt after the Abort message but it does not allow me to type anything in.  The only other weird thing this box does is if I monitor the console port during the boot up and get all the information, as soon as it says "Press RETURN to get started!" it's locked too.  I have to move the cable into the AUX port and then it allows me to enter commands (but at this point it's into the Username/Password challenge and that's what I'm trying to avoid).  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The answer is in your emulator settings.&nbsp;&nbsp;The default parameters for the console port on older 2500 series routers are: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 2 stop bits. This will correct the situation.<br><br>

Whenever consoling to a router, I always set stop bits to 2 instead of 1, to avoid this type of mess.

The normal default settings for the CON port are 9600 but recently I took a router and attempted to break into it and assumed it had a problem because the NVRAM settings for the Console were 115200. I found this out by testing with all data speeds from 300 upto 115200. I can only assume that at some stage someone else had XMODEM an IOS onto the router and set the speed for 115200, or some reason along those lines and not set it back.When the router booted of course it displayed the please press start but then locked up as I was not at the correct speed. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back