Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2500: Smart-2 & IDE Raid card, They don't work together. Help. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles104

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
Hello,

I have a Proliant 2500 with a Smart-2/P Card running with frimware ver. 4.48B. This Raid card came with the server and I have no issues when it is running alone. I am trying to add a FastTrakTX2 ATA100 Raid card frimware ver. 2.00. I can get this IDE Raid Controller card to work when it’s alone too. I just can not get the two to play nicely. The Smart-2 controller hangs in the "initializing" stage when the IDE raid card is installed. I never can get to the server configuration utility with both cards installed from boot up.
The last thing I tried was booting the server with only the Smart-2 installed. Run the server config utility, then HOT installing the IDE Raid controller. Doing that the utility software finds the IDE controller and installs it. I then go into "view and edit" and make sure the two cards are running different IRQs. Reboot and the Smart-2 card still hangs in the same place. The Server is running the latest bios 4.08 for E24. I have even tried installing the IDE raid card in Win2K, by the way of a hot install. It somewhat works ending up with the IDE card installed with no resources and wanting to reboot. After that the server still hangs on the Smart-2/P card. What do I need to do to get these two cards working together? I can loose the on board SCSI adapter (disable it in bios) if I need to free up some resources.

Thank you,

Miles104

Hi

What it sounds like to me is that the bios on both cards are not getting a long together. if you install both cards at the same time then run the compaq config by doing an F10 on boot up that should not cause then to use the same IRQ.

You can also try looking at both to make sure they are on differnt IRQs.

Now on the other hand why are you trying to run two raid cards of differnt types? Why would any one want to run a IDE raid in a server already with an SCSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back