Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

25 second network delay before commands succeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roebuck

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
GB
I have a problem with one PC on a network that is always showing a delay with certain commands.

This was first seen with the loading of IE and outlook, as a delay of about 25 seconds occurred between clicking the icon and the application appearing.

Further investigation has shown that this delay is consistent and also happens when the command prompt is used.

Example, when using ping there is a 25 second delay, then a 'normal' response is returned.

ping 192.168.2.1
<< 25 second delay here >>
Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

The same delay happens with other commands, like IPCONFIG and NSLOOKUP. Local commands like DIR C:\ work fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried uninstalling your TCP/IP stack, rebooting and then re-installing the stack?

I think it may be corrupted somehow.

Also check for a recent driver for your network card.

Do you have multiple network cards but only one connected (such as a wired card and wireless)? If so, uncheck the bindings (Network connections-advanced-advanced settings) for the inactive card. This will also happen with a virtual adapter(ie. VPN) that is not currently connected.

Thank you to Zen37 and dk87 for your posts.

There are multiple network cards so I have tried unchecking the bindings. This also looked promising as a solution as the connection order was incorrect with the "Local Area Connection" to be used being listed last. Unfortunately it has made no difference to the delay problem.

I have not tried Zen37's solution yet. It is on an XP Pro machine and I see that reinstalling the TCP/IP stack is not possible in XP? But Microsoft describe resetting it here: Will this achieve the same result and does anyone have experience of this process before I try it? i.e. what are the risks, will it all be reconfigured automatically etc...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back