Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2250 attendant console serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

poza

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2002
GB
Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone had direct connected the 2250 attendant console via serial port to a PC natively ? (ie, without nortel or third party software). I currently have a 2250 that I'd like to test to find out if I can see the raw data thru the serial connection onto my laptop using teraterm.

If this has been done I was wondering about pinouts on the DB9(PC) to DB25 and if it's just a straight-thru cable ? I have been playing around with various combos, but am getting lost in serial comms hell! :)

Any help grealty appreciated,

Cheers,
Paul

Paul,

It only looks like a serial connector. I don't remember the pin-out for the connection, but it contains two 2000 TN connections and a power pair. I would be amazed if the 2250 did anything meaningful to an RS232.

Scott

This Is a VERY interesting question. Serial should be a "Standard" when reffering to a pc connection shouldnt it?

I have another question reguarding the m2250 att console : Is it compatable to any nortel meridian system like an 8x24 DR5 for example? Thanx in advance

All of Nortels telephony products are proprietary. There are two serial ports at the rear of the 2250, one is the connection to the M1 and one is designed to connect to a PC, but unless you purchase their software development kit, you can't communicate. You have to be either a Open Developer or a partner of Nortels to have access to the Developers Equipment purchasing Program where you may buy the SDK. Also, the 2250 will not function on any other Nortel system e.g. Norstar or the BCM. However, Nortel has chosen to migrate their technology to higher levels rather than develop from scratch so the 2250 should work on the Sucession product.

Hey 1911....

I figured as much with regards to the proprietary use of this port - but surely serial comms is serial comms? Even if you can't do much with the output, I would have thought standard connections should still produce *something* ??

In any event, boss has decided to fork out and buy a new console, so I'm no longer trying to fix an old one (which was why I became interested in seeing what was happening across the "PC connect" port in the first place!).

Thanks for the post!

Paul.

OK, there are two DB25 connectors at the rear of the
M2250 console, one male and one female.
One is for the connection to the switch,
the other IS a RS232 connection, and if
you connect you PC to it, with the right speed and bit-settings (don't remember if you need a Null-modem adaptor) you will get a string of caracters on the screen,
each time there is some activity on the 2250.
E.G. A call is placed, received or you put the
console in Night-mode etc.
But how to make any sence out of those outputs.....
well that I don't know. ;-)

Hi guys, been real busy and just didn't have lots of time to get back on. It does require a null modem cable and as geirendre stated once you have the correct protocol you can see the data being transmitted as you select keys on the 2250 console. You will also be able to see the response i.e. acknowledgements from the PBX as well. However, unless you're willing to set and work through each key for transmit and an acknowledgement from the PBX, it's much more cost effective to purchase the documentation kit from Nortel which I'm sure they're no longer providing. They stopped supporting that port for some time now. In fact, as of December of 2004, Nortel will no longer be manufacturing the 2250 Console. They are focusing their attention on IP Telephony. They will not take any support calls on the port and in approximately 1 year will not help with the 2250 either. It's not worth any effort.

no, a db9 from nortel (Or cisco) sometimes has a pin out that you would need to meter out.. some switches even change the pin out for a t1.. (fugi)

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back