Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

221's and IP Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin253

Technical User
Dec 21, 2005
CA
I am STUMPED!

Here is the configuration.

Site A has a BCM50 connected to a contvity 221 which is connected to DSL internet. Site A also has one IP 2004 handset that is up and running.

Site B is a remote location with DSL and a IP2004 handset connected to a contivity 221. There is a Branch office VPn setup between Site A 221 and Site B 221.

The IP2004 at the remote site can call any digital phone at site A without issue. It works great, however this same IP phone cannot call the one IP phone at Site A. The phone will ring, and then there is NO speech at all.

From Site B we are able to ping the BCM at Site A, however not the handset itself.

Any ideas what setting on either the 221's or the BCM I am missing??

I'd guess default gatway on the phone(s) or BCM - signalling is making it across, but not the speech path.

What would the default gateway on the BCM have to be set to?
The address of the 221 on site A?

The default gateway of the BCM would be set to the internal IP of the Contivity 221 at it's site.

For example - site A: Contivity 221 is 192.168.1.1. BCM 50 is 192.168.1.254. The BCM's default gateway would need to be 192.168.1.1. Same goes for the phones.

We have the gateway of the BCM setup to that already, however the phones are set to DHCP so they have the BCM set as their gateway.

Should I set them to static and then set the phones gateway as the 221, NOT the BCM??

Definitely - you want the phones default gateway to be the router, not the BCM. UNLESS you are using the built in router on the BCM.

Should be able to adjust the default gateway setting in the DHCP server, unless you want to statically assign an address on the phones. Your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back