Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

-2147023186 Automation Error - DCOM error

Status
Not open for further replies.

durgadas

Programmer
Dec 6, 2001
IN
Hi! All,

I faced a very wierd problem at a client's location. The error message
was as follows:

-2147023186 Automation Error
The object unique universal identifier (UUID) was not found.

Our Server App as well as the Client App were created in VB. The Client App works perfectly well on "any one" of the computers on the network, but on all the rest it gives the above mentioned error. I suspect that this is a DCOM error - some permission or settings or something...

Can somebody help me out Please ???

warmest regards
Durga

Hi Durga,
I experienced the same problem recently with VB6 DCOM application. Please, read carefully the references below. At first glance I think that you need to recompile the client on the computer where the last version of the server was compiled. There is a reference to the server class and if there is no version match - the client can not create the remote object.
If this does not help, then try to reconfigure DCOM. Try the following:
1. Make sure you are using user level access control on the client (control panel\network)
2. If the user, logged on the client is not a domain user, then select: Default Authentication Level = None on the Server computer
3. If you have somebody logged on your server, then you can select: the interactive user in the Identity tab for your server application on the server machine. It is the least restrictive option. You may want to change it after you solve the problem.
4. You must have the same configuration options selected in the default tabs of dcomcnfg on the client machine, as the ones on the server. You may want to look at the server app options on the client machine. Read about finding the server key in client's Windows registry in the articles referenced below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back