Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

21 inch monitor with Choppy Video at Full Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

changky

Technical User
Apr 20, 2003
PH
I just bought a refurb 21" monitor. It runs perfectly, except it gets CHOPPY when playing videos on large windows or at full-screen. Here's my current setup:

Athlon XP 1700+
512MB DDR
Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 64MB
Current SCreen Resolution: 1600x1200

Should I upgrade my computer?

THANKS!

First thing I'd check is a video card with more on-board memory. High speed games take a lot of memory. Add the 21" screen, and you need everthing you can get. Do you know anyone with a high memory card? If so, can you try your monitor (and games) on it?

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Important to keep in mind that a Geforce4 MX is really nothing more than a GeForce2 tweaked up a bit. I have REAL issues on my systems that have GeForce2 and GeForce4 MX video cards using any driver over the 56.64 revision.

Also, as stated that GeForce4 is a relatively weak video card in the arena of video cards and I would just say without giving it much thought that a video at 1600x1200 is just asking more than that card can deal with.

I'd consider getting a new video card, one with some teeth (or at least 1 tooth, your current card is 'gumming' it) [bigsmile]

Cheers!

Actually, I looked up the old MX440 at Tom's Hardware, and here's just a small sample of a benchmark:

As you can see, it was able to handle a current game at the time at 1600x1200 just fine.

changky mentioned "choppy video", and never actually said gaming was involved. Playing video is much less stressful on a system as opposed to gaming. If this is the case, then I don't think the card is the issue.

What I would do is try it at a lower resolution like 1024x768 as a test. If it's still choppy, then you know you've got a different problem.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

First of all, thanks for those invaluable responses.

I've tried bringing down the resolution to the lowest (800x600), and I still get choppy full screen video, although it's much much better compared to when I had a higher resolution.

Do you think it's related to my processor speed? Should I upgrade my computer processor to a higher one?

And also, is monitor size and computer performance related? Let's say i have 1600x1200 on a 15" monitor and another one on a 21" monitor. Should I expect exactly the same performance? Or will the one with the 21" monitor be much slower?

Thanks again!

Can you borrow a 15" or 17" monitor to test? At least that should see if the system, or card/monitor is at fault.

And also, is monitor size and computer performance related?...

No. The monitor size makes no difference to the video card as long as the monitor supports the resolution you are running. 1280x1024 will perform the same way on a 17" as it would on a 21" connected to the same PC. I know you were just citing an example, but I do want to point out that smaller monitors (14" or 15") will not support very large resolutions like 1600x1200.

Your processor is fine for watching regular video like from a DVD, MPEG, or AVI. Processing speed only comes into play when you are well below 1GHz (such as a PII 300MHz).

Please clarify for us what kind of video you are talking about. Also, either try the monitor or the video source on another PC to make sure neither is the problem.

We also need to know whether you have an LCD or CRT, and if you are using a refresh rate of at least 75Hz (for CRT's).

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

My monitor is a 21" CRT.

The videos I'm talking about are MPGs, AVIs and DVDs.

I have the monitor driver installed already. I checked the current refresh rate setting, and it's currently on 60Hz. The only options are 60Hz and 72Hz. When I tried changing it to 72Hz, the screen began to flicker a bit. So I changed it back to 60Hz.

If i still get this problem, i might just reformat my hard drive, reinstall all the drivers, and see what happens. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks a lot!!

OK, I think you're on to something. Only 60Hz as an option and 75Hz doesn't work well, hmm. It would seem that either Windows is not detecting the correct monitor type, or the driver for your video adapter is incorrect.

On a 21-inch CRT, 85Hz or better should be available especially at lower resolutions like 1024x768. Go ahead and try whatever it is you had in mind. But if it doesn't work, post back with the version of Windows you're running, plus what Windows reports as your monitor type (Default, Plug & Play, the brand, etc).

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back