Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2016 Excel Buttons Resizing Themselves 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattGreer

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I have a spreadsheet with a couple buttons used to manipulate (sort, change formatting, it's a simple to-do list) a table in excel. Since upgrading to Office 365/Excel 2016, the buttons are acting... strangely. When I click on them, they grow. And occasionally they decide to resize themselves to very small sizes. They're still there, but just... small.

If you need a screenshot let me know. It will be a screenshot of some larger buttons and some small buttons tho. The buttons are on the sheet itself.

It's the strangest thing. I can't figure out what's happening and why.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks!!

Matt

In the past controls in excel were behaving so when screen resolution was changed (at least this was one of the reasons: You could try this fix (with proper version path, if it is still the same structure in registry) if your controls are set not to remove/resize with cells.

combo

Thank you! I'll look into that.

Also, after a quick google, it seems that checking the "print object" button helps as well.

Thanks!!

Matt

I have a couple of spreadsheets that have this tendency - move around a bit and/or re-size themselves occasionally and at apparently random times.[ ] Other of my spreadsheets (seem to) never exhibit the problem.[ ] The only "pattern" I can notice is that it TENDS to occur only in my larger spreadsheets.[ ] I am not in a position to test whether checking "print object" helps, because all my spreadsheets need that to be unchecked.

It was driving me mad.[ ] Extensive google searches confirmed that I wasn't alone, but offered neither explanation nor fix.[ ] So on spreadsheets where it rears its ugly head I now write a VBA macro that re-sets the buttons' .top .left .height and .width.[ ] I get this to run automatically either when the spreadsheet opens or when it saves.[ ] Sometimes I also set the macro up to run if I enter a keyboard shortcut (eg Ctrl-Shift-F, where the F stands for the state the buttons have got themselves into).

I am using Excel-2010, and have been since, well, 2011.[ ] I do not remember having the problem before then, but I might have.[ ] I had it under Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), and I now have it under Win-10 Home (64-bit).[ ] My recollection is that it makes no difference whether I save my spreadsheets as .XLS .XLSM or .XLSB formats.

It still drives me mad, but just a little bit less mad.

Deniall, that's a really good suggestion as well.

If I had the time, I would simply create a custom toolbar to house these macros. I just haven't gotten around to it. The sheet is a list, and usually the list is longer than the screen, so the buttons naturally disappear as I scroll down. It would be nice if I had custom buttons in a toolbar or custom menu items. All these issues would go away. It's a new thing I need to learn how to do in Excel 2016! Now where's that Excel VBA book... :)

Thanks!!

Matt

Matt
"the buttons naturally disappear as I scroll down"

I tend to put such buttons in the Freeze Panes region so that they stay on the screen.
Not an answer to your original problem but hope you find this of use.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back