Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2013 Word of the Year 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely hope it's not "twerk".

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

I don't want "twerk", so I'm planning "tretire" in 6 months!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I will guess either twerk or selfie; both of which make my flesh crawl.

Tom

[bugeyed]

Interestingly, neither twerk nor selfie appears yet in either online offering from Merriam-Webster or Oxford English Dictionary.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

I actually just read an article about this before logging on here.
One is a bit of a surprise, the other not so much.
Selfie - Oxford
Science - Merriam Webster (didn't see that coming)

Randy

[idea] I thought of another one, for those of us in the U.S. only, though:

Obamacare

Tom

[idea]

Obamacare ... is that a pluperfect noun?

Sam

mscallisto said:
Obamacare ... is that a pluperfect noun?

No, it's a far-from-perfect noun.

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Yep I should have said imperfect noun; thanks Santa

I wonder if 'obamacare' will become an adjective to describe misbegotten, or mismanaged IT Projects that were knowingly released incomplete and insufficiently tested ?

Fred Wagner
(retired, but still involved!)

FredWagner said:
I wonder if 'obamacare' will become an adjective to describe misbegotten, or mismanaged IT Projects that were knowingly released incomplete and insufficiently tested ?

Actually, Fred, from a grammatical perspective, Obamacare will always be a noun. For it to be an adjective, I believe the term would have to be Obamacarrion. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Recall the honorable Mr. Robert Bork. We could say that a software project was "Obamacared", much as a nomination is "Borked", not in the sense of the definition, but in the sense of a noun's being "verbified", or if you like, "verbed."
cnhVerbingWeirdsLanguage.gif

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

<I wonder if 'obamacare' will become an adjective to describe misbegotten, or mismanaged IT Projects that were knowingly released incomplete and insufficiently tested ?

We already have a name for those. They are called "IT Projects".

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

very good BobRodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back