Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

200R VPN Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

apeasecpc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
US
I am having problems with a Symantec 200R being used for remote VPN access. My users are connecting to the 200R with the Enterprise VPN Client Software, version 7.0.

The problem is that the VPN tunnel is dropping intermittently, and I am not sure why.

Associated with the tunnel drop I sometimes see the error message "WAN port 1 is unavailable" in the 200R error log, though I am not experiencing any web access problems over that same port.

The VPN appliance is also restarting itself intermittently for no apparent reason, again associated with the tunnel drop.

I already have the latest firmware installed (5T). I have also confirmed that the settings on the 200R and the Enterprise Clients match.

I thought it might be the 200R unit going bad so I replaced that, but the problem continues on the replacement so that doesn't appear to be the cause.

I am using 3DES/MD5 with an SA Lifetime of 720 minutes. I have three different users utilizing simple telnet connections over the VPN, who connect by this method. All of them are experiencing the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hello,
I´ve the same problem. We connect to our SEVPN 7.0 (on NT 4.0 SP6) with a Firewall Appliance 100. Then we connect with a Linux machine to a Linux Server. The connection is ok, but if we use the mount-command the appliance is rebooting.
Has anyone an idea that could fix this problem?

upgrade your firmware on the Appliance, 1.6h for the 100, not sure what version for the 200, clears up alot of the problems

Bob Listen
A+ MCP CCA

Blisten, I already have the latest firmware for the 200R: V1 Rel 5T.

Where did you find 1.6H for the 100? The highest version I find on Symantec's site for all three appliances is 1.5T.

Hi, we also have the newest firmware version (V1 Rel 5T). I can't find the version 1.6H and I further don't have any idea where to look for it.
Now we opened a support call at Symantec. If we get any helpful information I will post it immediately.

I got this firmware directly from Symantec, it is in beta but has fixed my problems

Bob Listen
A+ MCP CCA

The problem seems to have gone away after doing the following.

1) I put a UPS behind the 200R unit to prevent resets caused by power fluctuations.

2) I set the "Alive Indicator Site IP" value to a public IP address from the internet (I used altavista.com's IP address).

The device determines connection status by first attempting to ping the gateway, and if that fails it tries to ping the "Alive Indicator" address. I think the loss of connection was occurring because my previous "Alive Indicator Site IP" address was not reliably returning ping responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back