Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

200gb sata in windows xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybridspyda

Technical User
May 23, 2005
GB
i've istalled a 200gb SATA drive on my new pc, and tried to load winxp pro, but it only sees 130gb... why is this? is there a way to fix this? HELP!?!?!

it only sees 130gb"
Does "it" refer to XP?
If so, then what capacity does the BIOS see?

Is the SATA port built into the MB, or is an SATA PCI controller card installed?
If the SATA port is built into the MB, then which MB are you using?

And the reason ski is asking is due to the 24-bit LBA limitation. Either the BIOS, Windows, or both are using 24-bit.

So after answering ski's questions, visit:

There are Windows patches to resolve it in the OS, and sometimes there are BIOS updates to resolve it for the motherboard. However, SATA isn't subject to the same limitations as IDE (PATA). Therefore, I suspect your problem is with the OS.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Once ya get into XP, apply at least SP1 updates and go:
settings
control panel
administrator tools
computer management
storage
disk management

you can then see the unused space in a neat little pile and you can format it as an extra drive, if you have some partition software like partition magic although i never used it i believe you may be able to coalesce the space into your main partition.

Yes, PartitionMagic can repartition your drive to use un-used space without reformatting or losing data!

However, if you formatted the 200GB drive using the utility that came with the drive, then it should show correctly in Windows after applying SP1 without needing to reformat.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

ok... the bios sees 200gb, win xp pro sees 130gb but win xp pro sp2 sees 180gb (or something close to that number)... i have loaded sp2 onto it but i will see if its possible to recover that extra space... not that its extremely vital mind you lol, 180gb seem to be enough... but thats not the point tho is it! lol...
keep you posted thanx for helping

two wrongs don't make a right,
but three lefts do!
Hybridspyda

No, actually all the space is there! There was a recent thread that explains why you only see around 180GB:

thread751-1084279

200,000,000,000 divided by 1,073,741,824 roughly equals 186.26GB, which is what Windows is correctly reporting to you.

~cdogg

thanx dude, i realised that when i looked on it's properties a few hours after i had replied lol

two wrongs don't make a right,
but three lefts do!
Hybridspyda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back