Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server unable to view event viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjeffords

MIS
Mar 25, 2004
US
Hey guys i have a different problem from any other than i have run into. Basically i have a 2000 Domain that i am in the midst of upgrading to a 2003 Infrastructure. Ok currently i had in place one DC called EXG2000. It is a 2000 server. I bought a brand new server.I ran adprep /forestprep and adprep /domain prep and then installed the server for 2003.It is called EXG2003. Therefore i have a 2000 server and a 2003 server in the same environment. For some reason i cannot view the event viewer on the 2003 server. It keeps says access denied even though i am logged in as the Domain Admin. It is really baffeling me as to what is going on? I know about permissions and who should have permission to do what on different machines. Maybe i am missing something with it being a 2000/2003 environment. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated

this may help. quoted from
Cannot view event log after changing administrator password

Symptoms: After you changed the administrator password on a 2003 server, you are unable to access some server information like the event logs.

Cause: When using Reset Password on Local Users and Groups, that may cause irreversible loss of information. You should use Ctrl+Alt+Del instead of Reset Password to change administrator password.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Thanks for the help and i found the problem.
What happened was the fact that my Administrator account became part of the Domain guests and guests group on the built in list. I removed it from there and all is well.
Thanks for the input and i hope this can help someone else down the line !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back