Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server service pack 1 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
check the check box to back up files

or you can always take a backup and do a non-authoritative restore (in other words just restore the system state)

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Cheers Brandon that would be handy, i've haven't noticed any adverse affects on test machines i've created and modified users and policies on a combination of machines and they all seem to replicate without any problems.

"Horsey to king bish three

Another that i've noticed during testing is that i can't install an ArcServe 11 remote agent to an SP1 box. Has anyone else noticed this?

the SP1 box is likely looking for the extra RPC handle and cannot find it, prolly failing because of that...try installing the agent on the box itself...bet it succeeds

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

I did try installing the agent manually and it showed as working on the box but i still couldn't browse the box in the Arcserve console. I'll have another look later.

Cheers.

I have the same problem as Live2Die -

Anyone having any further suggestions (other than just a restore), would be most appreciated.....

Regards,

Alan

I have almost the same problems as Live2Die and fredrikkk, the server boots and suddenly the bar under in the screen stops moving and the harddisk shows no activity.

I can boot in save mode, removed service pack 1, but the error remains.

Anyone??

Regards,
Ron

Yep tried it agan Brandon and it worked cheers.

I opened a case with Microsoft last week on the "Live2Die" issue and apparently we are not alone. What server models are you running? I have SP1 installed on an IBM x365 (4x3GHz/6gigs/ServeRAID-6M), and apparently other x365 users are having a similar issue.

For me the server boots after a few hours, but the console is locked when it does. So far I've tried rebuilding with a slipstreamed CD, removed hardware, loaded newer/older RAID drivers, etc.

So I guess SP1 isn't ready for prime time yet =) ?

Thank you lartb...we are running an IBM x365 machine very similar to the one you are running.
I figured it was a hardware issue. Once again tek-tips answers my questions.

Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

We rolled it out into development then prod. Had a couple issues:

- DCOM security permissions. If nothing was checked before, it's now "requires mutual". Had to change this back to "none" for some of our DCOM stuff to work.

- biztalk trusted connections. Our biztalk server communicates with db server (different box) via trusted connections. Had to change the end of our connection string from "trusted_connection=true" to "trusted_connection=yes". Till we did this none of our biztalk stuff worked. Weird.

- on a machine with office 2000, after the sp1 install we opened an office app (access), and the windows installer ran, and we had to put our product key back in again. Just had to do this once, as an admin. But before that, any non-admin trying to run an office app on the machine had it just close on em.

Everything's now stable and good.

After taking lartb advice.. we got SP1 installed on our testing server and we had no problems so we will be rolling it out to our production network.

Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

Installed SP1 on our two servers and the firewall stopped them talking to each other. Fortunately this thread pointed me in the right direction to sort the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back