Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Housechild

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2007
GB
Hi there

I have a couple of users who log on to a 2003 server via dial up connection to access there e-mail, and now want them to be able to access the company intranet which is based on another machine on the network.

The problem is that they can connect to the 2003 Server but cannot access the web server on the other machine, or see anything else on the network. I am using DHCP on the server to allocate a range of addresses to the dial up user.

Any advice would be much apprectiated.

Thanks

Steve

I would imagine a name-resolution problem is the most likely, can they access the remote machines via the IP addresses, rather than names?

If you are using DHCP to provide IPs to the dial-up users, you should be able to configure the DNS/WINS settings for the scope which should provide them the ability to "see" the other servers on the network

I cannot see the network machines using IP addresses either.

Can you advise on how to configure the dns/wins settings as suggested. I have set the IP range to be used via 'Routing and Remote Access Properties'.

Thanks

Steve

You need to make sure that the range of IP addresses you have set aside for these dial-up users is in the same subnet as the rest of your network. That sounds like the problem to me.

Good luck,

I think you need to choose the VPN and NAT option when going through the RRAS wizard. It sounds like they're dialing up directly into the machine that they're accessing. That machine isn't acting as a router/NAT to the rest of the network.

Managed to solve this eventually by adding a static route the web server machine back to the 2003 Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back