Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 server password complexity/User profiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

t4z

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
GB
hi guys,

any help appreciated. this is driving me insane. Please note i have already created my users and if need be can recreate them.

The situation: Have created an OU under my Domain (abc.local)

Ou is called staff.
On this OU have created a group policy linked to this OU and blocked inheritance.
Have configured the password policies under comp config to minimal i.e. Disable password complexity and minimum length =1 etc etc.

Have also configured adminstartor access to user profile.

Have ran gpupdate /force on the Server.
These settings are not propogating. My users are no way going to be able to create such complex passwords and even if they do it is going to cause hassle beacause they will forget (OR EVEN WRITE THEM ON POST-IT NOTES STUCK TO MONITORS)

I have created a standard user and created all accounts by copying this user. However I set these policies before even creating the standard user

These two problems I cannot resolve. Any help would be great.

Thanks
T

Hey Bovrevenge2,

Any Ideas how to remotely boot clients in an active directory domain?

Cheers
T

Sorry I meant REBOOT clients

Hey Bofrevenge,

Thanks for that. Quick question: shutdown.exe is it deployable in a non sms environment?

Well shutdown.exe is actually on Win2k pc's anyway so I discovered, it might of appeared in SP4 I’m not sure.

Psshutdown however doesn't require deploying that’s the beauty of it I just have it in a folder on a server and schedule it to run at certain times it then extracts the PC names from a text file and shuts the PC's down.

The same applies for rebooting remote clients.

Drive:\psshutdown -r computename

That will reboot the remote client without installing anything.

Hey Bofrevenge,

PSshutdown id definatley the way! I really appreciate the invaluable advice. Awesome. I hope you don't mind all my questions. I am havung difficulty at present locating a policy that will only allow a user to log on to only one workstation at a time. Is this possible? or does a customer script need to be written.

I really appreciate the troubles you have gone to to share your knowledge.

Thanks
T

Thanks Bofhrevenge,

When you have questions, where do you go for help???? Do you ever get stuck on anything

Oh yeh I’ve been stuck many times but there's usually someone in the forums with an answer and each problem solved adds to your experience.

If that fails a couple of spare machines and enough time will usually reveal an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back