Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server from Domain to Workgroup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtshort

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
How would you go about changing a 2003 Server from a Domain Name to a Workgroup.

I can go into the tab to change it, but it's greyed out.

WinXP computers are connecting to it, but I can't figure out how to make the XP Machines log onto a Domain.

The Server is only for 3 other PC's in the same building, kind of a Mom & Pop store so security among the computers doesn't really have to be that tight. I think a Workgroup would work for them.

Rob
Just my $.02.

If it's the only domain controller in the domain, you will need to demote it. Open a command prompt and run dcpromo.

If it's a member server, you will need to be logged in as a domain administrator to remove it from the domain.

Thanks Clowntrigger for the info. Also for anyone as stupid as me, I figured out that WinXP Home can not log onto a domain. It has to be WinXP Pro.

Guess Uncle Bill wanted more money from the business using one of his Server Flavors.

Thanks again.

Rob
Just my $.02.

Yeah, I've been bitten by that XP Home feature too. Tried to get a remote user to access network shares over a vpn. After about 3 hours at her house, it struck me that she was using XP Home. An upgrade later and happy user, happy tech.

God bless you all !!

I can now wipe the blood off my forehead and accept temporary defeat.

Zumie [peace]

Visualize whorld peas.

From hours of surfing there is a tool that is called X-Setup that is supposed to "fool" XP Home into joining a Domain, but I didn't go that route.

Also from the surfing I discovered that SBS2003 has to be a Domain and can not be a WorkGroup.

That's what happens when you call Dell and let the sales person talk you into 10 times more than the computer they really needed. All they wanted was to share one folder on the server for 3 workstations. Could have done that with XP, but Dell hooked them up with a Server with Hot Swappable Drives and the rest of the works. Probably $2500 or more that a $400 Celeron would have suited them. LOL

Rob
Just my $.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back