Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server configure DHCP to boot PXE - HELP PLZZZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb21

Technical User
Dec 4, 2008
Ok ive been in desktop supprt for a while, but dont really have a clue about servers , so if i do or ask any slly questions then i apologise in advance :D

I have followed this guide ...

I have 1 Server running windows 2003 r2 enterprise edition with sp2, and 3 worstations, 1 pc and a 2 laptops.

The frst thing i am basicaly attempting to do is....

I have a image of my laptop which is created in ghost. I would like to copy this image on the server and boot the laptop off network (pxe?) so it pushes out the image via WDS - Windows Deployment Service.

I understand to do this i need to confgure DHCP on the server, SO when a workstation is connected it will lease a ip for it to connect to network.

What i hav done so far is :

DNS set up as home.loc

dcpromo run and ad setup

Confgured DHCP on the server to lease ip address's ranging from :

192.168.1.2 > 192.168.1.10 (excluding 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.5)

Server is 192.168.1.3

2nd nic in server is 168.254.... (auto config)

Laptop which is currently connected via wireless is 192.168.1.5

I have a Wireless linksys router , with 4 available ports.

Server has 2 NICs,

Cable Modem connects to Linksys router > router connects to server

I have read that i may need to disable my routers dhcp settings, so the server can take full control. Is this correct?

Should i plug a cable from a workstation i want to build into the 2nd NIC on the server? or connect it to one of the free ports on the linksys router?

I have spent a few days messing around with it, and i just cannot get dhcp to provide a ip lease when attempting to boot laptop off the network.

Can some one please explain to me what the best method i should use to achieve my 1st aim of being able to boot from PXE and install a ghost image.

Thanks

I have read that i may need to disable my routers dhcp settings, so the server can take full control. Is this correct?
Yes

Should i plug a cable from a workstation i want to build into the 2nd NIC on the server? or connect it to one of the free ports on the linksys router?
No

Can some one please explain to me what the best method i should use to achieve my 1st aim of being able to boot from PXE and install a ghost image.
You can't install a Ghost image if you're wanting to use WDS. You have to install and configure WDS, which will make the correct DHCP change. Then boot the computer in PXE mode. Read the WDS whitepapers for more info.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

You can get around it by not using WDS as well though.

Get your routers DHCP turned off.
Make sure you get the correct PXE options added to your DHCP config.
Make sure you have a bootable image (Freedos is always a good one) that'll be brought down to the workstation at PXE boot.
Use ghost to rebuild your laptop.

Used that as an intermediate stage between going from ghost to altiris.

But he wants to use WDS

I would like to copy this image on the server and boot the laptop off network (pxe?) so it pushes out the image via WDS - Windows Deployment Service.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks for the replies.

I have got my DHCP working, and it is now leasing out address's when logging on to another PC.

With regards to PXE....

To be honest, i wouldnt mind knowing how to boot from pxe using WDS and/or without.

''Make sure you get the correct PXE options added to your DHCP config.''

Can you explain a little more on how to do this?

Thanks

When you boot the workstation, do you see a prompt before Windows starts to boot about pressing a key for PXE boot? If not, you may need to change something in the BIOS for your workstation.

Pat Richard MVP

yes i think that is workin, i get a message saying contacting dhcp server, then i get a no image available. It picks up a ip ok.

WDS only supports .wim files. What boot image should i be using?

You need to make sure in your DHCP Scope options you have:
60 = Client Identifier (set to "PXEClient")
66 = Boot Server Host Name
67 = BootFile Name

For the bootimage I always just downloaded one from the Altiris website (now symantec, you'll have to sign up - it's free - to get the download). The FreeDOS variant is about 8Mb I think but it comes bundled with the linux one as well, download is ~40Mb.

You don't need to make any of those changes if you're going to use WDS. WDS will make the correct changes to DHCP automatically. From there, you can create the boot images by reading through the WDS docs.

Pat Richard MVP

Sounds like the images are not available - have you uploaded an image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back