Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 server cannot map dirve or RDC to it ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattowen

MIS
Feb 7, 2005
GB
Hello,

I have a 2003 member server on our domain, From the server I can map drives to other servers and work normally. But from other machines on the network I cannot map drives to this 2003 server or RDC to it but I can ping the server by name and ip. When I try and map a drive to the c$ share it errors "path not found".

I have checked that the firewall is disabled, Has anyone got any idea's??

Thanks

How are you trying to map the drive? Can you ping the server from the same machine your are trying to map to?

If nothing funny is there, it sounds like the c$ admin share may be messed up. Try creating a share to something and then trying to map to the newly created share. I have seen the C$ share get messed up sometimes.

-DJ

Hi,

I can ping the server from my machine but I cannot map a drive to or rdc to it. I have just tried creating other shares and also recreating the c$ share??

But still no luck, its just like if the server had firewall running but it doesnt.

Thanks

Is the RPC service running and available on the server? Is it secured at all?

-DJ

I checked the RPC service is running, I dont seem to able to restart it. There no other security on there.

This ones got me stumped.

Thanks

Do you have any GPO's or other security or is it a vanilla install?

-DJ

Nope I dont know of any other policy's, its been working fine for ages.

Maybe you dont have rights or if you did someone changed your rights. If you know the local admin account of that server then try from a command line:

net use \\servername\c$ /u:servername\localadminname password

If you can do that then it is not a share problem but rather a permissions problem

Or alternatively go to a command prompt and type:
\\myserver on it's own. This should bring up any visible shares as well as the printers folders. If this comes up, you have permissions of some kind to the server. Otherwise you should be prompted for a username and password

Yep, tried that. I just get "path cannot be found".

so you can ping this server but you can't connect via UNC. Try telnetting to port 139 - go to command prompt (at a client PC, not server) and type telnet 169.254.0.1 139 (replacing 169.254.0.1 with your servers IP address). It should connect, you won't really see anything but it will say telnet 169.254.0.1 in the title bar. Otherwise it will just say connecting to 169.254.0.1 ... and will fail after a few seconds.

If this fails, it means there's that this port is blocked somewhere between the client and the server. The next step I'd recommend is to put a crossover cable between your server and a laptop/desktop and go start > run \\myserver and see if this works. If it doesn't work, then the problems on the server side, if it does then you need to start looking at what devices are between your server and the client PC.

Hopefully this is of some benefit to you

forgot to mention, the fact that you can't RDP to it either probably means there's some ports being blocked somewhere. I think the port for TS is 3389, try telnetting to that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back