Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server Backup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNUprogrammer1

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2006
US
OK, let's make my first post a good one.
We are getting ready to implement two Dell PowerEdge 2800 Servers running Windows 2003 Server. I need to back them up. I am doing so by running ntbackup.exe, selecting Advanced Mode, and then the ASR wizard. Our servers have just a floppy drive and a CD-ROM. I tried plugging in an external CD burning drive, only to get an error when I selected that drive as my preferred media to backup the files: "E:/ is not accesible. Incorrect function." I hope this is enough information, I have never used 2003 before. If anyone can offer an alternative way to backup (its ~900 MB by the way), or how to get this external drive to work, which is a slightly off topic question, that would be great. Thanks. (BTW, burning drive is a

did you have a blank cd in the drive??? if not put one in and try again

Blank CD is in and, yes, is compatible as we use these same discs for burning other items, when the drive is connected to a different workstation of course.

I have the same server and had the same issue, so I ended up getting a Maxtor NAS drive. MS backup util isn't the greatest.

To my knowledge not being able to backup direct to CD or DVD with NTbackup is by design. Something about Remote Storage Management not being able to recognize discs. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the post.

(yay! shameless advertising. my side business)

Yes it gets assigned an IP address and becomes part of the network. I have a 200 gig drive and plenty of room for backups.

So is there any way I can route this backup to a drive on our network? And if so, would it be possible to make a daily/weekly/etc., backup? Thanks again guys.

Back it up to a workstation, that's what i always do for redundancy...

Can you get an ide drive into the server temporarily? Disconnect your cd drive and do your backup to that. Just be sure to take a snapshot of your system state too.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Ok, I stole my boss's IDE and the information is copying over. While Im at it, how important would the Backup be (of programs and files)? Or is that just my judgment call?

"... a snapshot of your system state.."
Would that just be a screen capture of my desktop that provides the server name, type, ip, etc etc?
Thanks for bearing with me.

No, open ntbackup and do a backup of your system state to file... just in case anything goes wrong.

You really should do a complete backup as well.

You didn't really clarify your initial post:
"We are getting ready to implement two Dell PowerEdge 2800 Servers running Windows 2003 Server. I need to back them up."

Are these production servers or just test boxes?

They will be servers that will handle our Diagnostic Imaging (Xrays, MRI, etc.), we are an orthopaedic practice. We are waiting to implement them because we are copying over and then backing up all of the previous data as well as what comes in each passing day. When all of that is copied and backed up to the present day, we will switch over from the old to the new, and the 2003 server will be the active server we use, with the backup server available. All of the backup I said that was being done ^, are all files, no backup of the actual server(s), and their settings/registry/system state/whatever. Does that clarify any more for you, or confuse you more? Ha.

No that's cool.

Have fun with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back