Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server & Firewall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veep

Programmer
Jan 10, 2002
US
I was recently given a 2003 Server machine as a development box with the agreement that the Firewall will stay up. The problem though is that the box is unpingable on the network with the Firewall up. Not being a server administrator, I'm looking for the simplest way to allow users to access a share and IIS in order to test apps while maintaining the Firewall. I've configured the box as a File Server and an Application Server, created groups and added my users. Everything works great if I take the Firewall down. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Vince

In the Exceptions list:

1. Make sure File and Printer sharing is checked.
2. Add a new exception that has the port number and protocol your website uses (For example: TCP and Port 80) and make it checked.

-Keshav

Thanks much! I'm getting closer. I can ping the box but still can't connect to the File Share. I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper.

Vince

Got it! The file and print sharing had a subnet restriction that excluded my users.
Thanks again kmkeshav.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back