Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 SBS + another webserver (2008?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrogley

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2006
GB
I have a Windows 2003 SBS server as a single server on-site. It runs everything from File & Print, through Exchange and SQL Server (SQL Express 2005) for an Intranet site.

The Intranet site is going to get used far more and the SQL data is growing considerably.

I'm considering getting a second server to take the Intranet & SQL Server - so Windows 2008 Web edition sounds reasonable.

However, it may be nice to be able to have redundancy for some of the other services - AD, DHCP, FAX etc - so Windows 2008 Standard may be a better bet - however, do I need to have new CALs for this?

One last bit - one of the areas in the intranet is password protected and integrated with AD - will the Win 2008 web and/or standard install in the existing AD tree to make use of this?

TIA!

I think you would need 2008 CALs for any users/device that will be accessing the 2008 server directly, no matter what the reason is. If you setup AD to replicate to the 2008 server, since you want to use it as a backup, I don't see were there would be a problem if you move the intranet site to there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back