Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 R2 won't join domain w/ 2003 server AFTER adprep

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkaarde

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2007
First - thank you to those who keep this website going: Admins, endusers, and SMEs who are kind enough to help solve problems when we're at our wit's end.

Now for the problem:
Out of the box 2003 R2 server, with every winpatch by Windows Update. Attempting to join a domain that already exists, on a 2003 AD server.

I have already run ADPREP from disk 2 on the AD Server, and it successfully went from 30 to 31 for /forestprep. /domainprep complained that this task was already done and didn't need to run /domainprep.

I rebooted the AD server, and removed all references to the R2 box. I then rebooted the R2 box, just in case, and I am still unable to get this attached to the domain.

I have admin passwords on both systems, even modified my personal account to be allowed damn near every edit available, and tried that account. No luck.

The AD server is already elevated to 2003 server for the domain, so that isn't it either.

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "XX":

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Check the event logs on your existing DC's and see if there are any errors happening.

These types of errors are usually related to DNS.

From your other server, can you resolve/ping the AD server by NETBIOS name?

So, if server1.domain.com is pinged from server2, does it correctly resolve an ip address and Reply/Reply/Reply?

I assume your AD server is also hosting internal DNS? If so, be sure to set the Primary DNS Address on your other server to the IP of the AD server.

If this isnt it, let me know.

I've managed to fix it on my own - not bad for a UNIX hack.

DNS for both servers was just fine - the AD Server IS the DNS Server, and had the R2 server already in its DNS.

The default server installation set it to:
NetBIOS via DHCP Server - which isn't happening here.

So, manually added the AD Server as the WINS server, also put in the AD's IP address.

Lastly, AD gummed itself up, complaining that the R2 server was already connected to the domain - So I renamed the server, rebooted, added the machine again, ignored the complaints about connected as old name, rebooted again, and I am done.

I am sure that the ADPREP was still a necessity - kudos for those who wrote previous posts and replies.

I am peeved that MS was able to authenticate me to the host with the proper ID, started the process, and when some NetBIOS problem came up, it fails miserably with an Idiot Light error message, PLUS leaves around artifacts that should be removed upon failure.

This was an insane amount of time wasted over a key service component.

LOL

For what it's worth, I've brought 6 enterprise domains online, from NT4-to-2000, and 2000-to-2003, and mixed.

I have never...not once in 10 years, used any kind of prep tool (aside from exchange migration tools) to build active directory.

I have a feeling that the ADPREP tool may have tried to join your server to the domain as well, creating the naming conflict.

Also, if you're running AD with DNS, uninstall WINS. You don't need it anymore.

I've had the pleasure of using NDS, supporting UNIX, Windows and Macs w/ appletalk - sharing disk volumes concurrently, and I've simply never had this huge of a F***up over something as simple as same OS to same OS communication (and nearly same versions!)

I was able to communicate between servers, find each other on the Network connections, and errors like this happen?!
My six year old does a better job of cleaning up after himself, even when he forgets to lift the seat up.

Regardless, it's fixed now. Until the next Disaster, byebye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back