Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 promoted to dc, client not able to surf

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsnapper

Technical User
Nov 26, 2005
BE
Hello,
i have a problem going on the internet after promoting my 2003 to dc.

configuration:
1 hub
1 server 2003 enterprise, sp1, 2 networks cards, ip1 :192.168.0.1, other provider, internetconnect sharing enabled.
1 client win xp pro sp2

before I promoted my server I installed sp1 & dhcp, client receives ip address from dhcp and was able to go on the internet.
I installed ad on my server and let the wizard install also dns. In my Dns, I added the ip from the dns from my provider.
After that I added the dns ip in my dhcp options.
I added my client to the domain and also logged on on the domain.
Now I have access to all shared drives on the server.
Nslookup from my client to the internet works also.

For testing I installed IIS on my server and i can access that website from my client.
But I can't seem to reach the internet from my client.
What am i doing wrong? Or is there a security policy that me prohibits to go outside?

thanks

Did you find a solution as yet to this.

First off, I think you should make your server the dns server and only place the ip dns add in your dns forwarders. (I think this is best practice - other can correct me if I am wrong)

Once you have done that, change the dhcp scope to reflect your server as dns server.

Then to make your clients surf (correct me once again gurus) you need to turn on routing and remote access and make sure its configured correctly

Yes I already did. I did some testing with tracert. I could trace my own server but was not able to go outside. The nslookup was working, so it was not a problem with dns but with routing.
I disabled internet connect sharing and set up nat trough route and remote access. Now it's working fine
Also read on the internet that you shouldn't use ics when you are using a domain controller, so that put the trigger by me. (i'm just starting to learn all this :)
Thanks for the answer and have a smiley day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back