Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Print Server print properties "not responding" post driver change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2003
US
I'm attempting to reconfigure a large number of printers in my environment, in particular, I'm chaning the driver from a PCL driver to a PS driver. The print properties is hanging in a "not responding" state after I click "OK".

I can try a reboot, but that most likely has to wait until after (11pm) business hours. I've restarted the print spooler, and the TCP/IP Print Server properties.

If I close it, it gives an error that "Explorer.exe" is not responding. Clicking "OK" here, closes the properties dialogue, the "Printers & Faxes" page, and the desktop. The new printer driver is displayed when I reopen "Printers & Faxes" This obviously won't work for getting this done relatively quickly.

Any thoughts?

2K3 Server

-Butler

It sounds like that driver doesn't work for that printer.

First, I would build a new queue to verify that the new PS driver actually works on your server. There's nothing that will keep you from building a second queue on the server and connecting it to an existing "port".

If the new queue works, then go to the existing print queue, delete any jobs that are running on it, and change the driver on the "advanced" tab from the dropdown list.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Not sure what the resolution is going to actually be...

I rebooted the server, an dit all works well now. Something was hanging up that dialogue.

it's a M$ product, it needs reboots to feel good.

Thanks though,

Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back