Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 --> 2008 Active Directory? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpanther56

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
We will soon have a week downtime to migrate our systems to server 2008, I'd just like to pass my method with I think is fairly standard by you all just in case there are any pitfalls.

We currently have three DC’s servicing approx 500 clients one DC currently holds all of the FSMO roles. This is the only physical DC that will be remaining as we are replacing the hardware of the other two (and maybe virtualizing one of them). I was thinking of taking the two old DC’s offline then upgrading the FSMO role holder from 2003 R2 SP2 to Server 2008 so our AD is updated and then running a clean install of the other two new DC’s.

Is this a good way to go and are there any common pitfalls that I should be aware of?

If you require any more info please ask.

Thank you.

I agree with your plan. Just be sure to prepare your AD properly. Refer to my comments in this thread: thread931-1545190

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I'll take a look at the thread thanks Mark.

How should I deal with the two 2003 DC's once the primary is upgraded to 2008 should I power them up and dcpromo them from the domain or should I Dcpromo them before upgrading to 2008?

Also should all of my 2003 member servers continue to function without modification once the Active Directory is updated to 2008?

Thanks.

A week of downtime?! What's the need for the downtime?

I'd probably do it this way (but it's too early in the morning to think this all through)
Demote one of the DCs to a member server, then remove it from the domain
Upgrade the schema
Rebuild the demoted DC as 2008, join it to the domain, and promote it
Move the FSMO roles to it
Demote the other DC, remove it from the domain, rebuild it, promote it.
Do the same for the last one.

No downtime, and you always have at least 2 DCs running during the migration.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

A week of downtime?! What's the need for the downtime?

We're a high school so it's 'possible' downtime as the school is closed, if it can be done without any downtime then it's a bonus.

The two DC's being physically replaced will probably be virtualized which is why i was going to upgrade the only box that will be remaining on physical hardware (HP DL360 only built 6 months ago). The other two boxes probably won't run server 2008 and are quite old.
I suppose I could use one of the old servers as a swing server transfer the FSMO roles across then rebuild the DL360 and move the FSMO roles back or at least the PDCe role anyway.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Even if you virtualized things, there isn't any need for downtime. Bring a virtual server up, upgrade the schema, promote the server, make it a DC & DNS, move the FSMO roles. Then bring up the second virtual server and promote it. Then upgrade the last and move the FSMO roles back to it.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

One critical step has been missed int he above and that is waiting for the ADSchema to replicate after it is prepared.

You will need to wait at least 15 minutes. Possibly more time if the DCs are in different locations.

Member servers are not affected by this process, only DCs.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Ok thanks guys. One last thing are there any issues with mixed 32 and 64 bit DC's?

Not from a technical functioning standpoint. The only issues I've run into are what WON'T install on the 64 bit DC, which includes the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC). But you can run that from a 32 bit workstation.

Pat Richard MVP

Would you consider the method discussed above as preferable to using the ADMT?

Sorry to jump into this post late. But if you are going to be virtualizing, I thought it may be beneficial to suggest using Server 2008 Core since it doesn't require as many resources and it doesn't have EXPLORER.EXE!!!

This is what I did when I virtualized my DC's and migrated to 2008. If this is something that you are interested in, here are some tips for server core:

----------------------------
Beau71 - MCSA
----------------------------

Hi thanks for that. I will be looking into server core for DC's in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back