Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Fax Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingleboy

Technical User
Oct 30, 2004
US
So I have been presented with the task of configuring a fax server. The two fax machines we have in the office are not cutting it. They want me to comeup with a plan to use our Windows 2003 Server as a fax server. We are currently running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server and it's only assigned role's are as a Print Server and WINS. I noticed that 2003 Server Ent. edition can also be implemented as a fax server. I have Googled like crazy on plans for a fax server and have found nothing. My main questions are:

1) What do I need in terms of hardware ( ie. Do I need to get a fax machine and network it to the server?)
2) I noticed that the Fax Service on 2003 Service willroute incoming faxes to email, what if we are sending out a fax via email and the recipient does not also have this setup/service?
3) Is 2003 Server/ Fax Server the best course of action for the task at hand
** If not, any recomendations (the boss wants it to have networking capabilities though)

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

I would recommend the Castelle line of fax appliances. They work very well and are easy to configure.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

So the Fax Server on Server 2003 is not the ideal way to go?

Just one more thing to bog down the server with in my opinion. I liked the castelle product because it integrated with Exchange well.

I've only used the Windows 2003 Fax service with SBS, and I will say I think that works well for the small business. For larger orgs I think a Fax Appliance is the way to go personally.

Regards,

Mark

So with this product, will it route incoming faxes to the appropriate user's inboxes? Is there additional software I need to purchase?

The routing will depend on if you have DID lines or not. Otherwise it will put all the faxes into a single mailbox that can then be routed by a person such as a receptionist.

The product comes with the software you need. When the client side is installed, it will allow your users to send faxes from any Windows application. It will put the outgoing faxes in a queue and send them when the line is not being used. The different products in the line will no doubt have more features the more you spend. Check out the web site.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back