Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 DNS resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

drexen1

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
I am trying to resolve computer/server names in our network using our 2003 DNS servers. The client computer that I am using is located in one of our branch offices that is connected via a WAN link. The client computer is part of a Windows NT 4.0 domain. I did remove all WINS settings/configurations from the TCP/IP Protocol settings in Network Settings on the client computer. I only have two DNS server entries defined. When I ping computer names that are located across the WAN link in our main 2003 AD domain, I get the error “host cannot be found”. I also have problems and I get no results when I try to do NSLOOKUP for computer names using the 2003 DNS server that is located in our main 2003 AD domain.

What do I need to do to enable the Windows NT 4.0 client in the remote branch office to be able to use the 2003 DNS server to resolve computer names in our main 2003 AD domain?

You need to add the domain extension on the DNS tab of the NT 4 systems. The system will then append the domain name to the host name creating an FQDN.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Great! I appended the domain name to the host name like you suggested and now I am successfully able to resolve computer names through DNS. I am using a Windows NT 4.0 DHCP Server to assign out IP and DNS server address information to the client computers. Is there a way for me add this appended domain name for DNS in the DHCP scope options on the Windows NT 4.0 DHCP Server? This would save me from having to manually add the appended domain name on each individual client computer.

Thank You for all of your help.

Yes... Option 015 in the scope specifies the domain name.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Yes, I changed the 015 option in the DHCP Scope and now it does push the appended domain name to all of my client workstations.

Thank you PSC for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back