Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 290 exam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdk25

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2005
US
is it just me? or is the 2003 290 exam ridicoulsy difficult!!! i took the 290 exam and failed a few weeks ago, i found reading the question to be more difficult then awnsering it, and the sim questions are also very screwed up, there are numerous way's to complete a task in active directory in real life but theese sims only alow you to do it one way! Micorsoft really needs to have a better writer making theese test

Smooth 23,

I did not like Measure Up but I have only seen the 70-229 practice test.

If a person studies hard and knows the subject matter, studying with a practice test that uses actual questions is a HUGE advantage. I don't consider it cheating at all.

Now OTOH, I know a lady that got one of the Sun Java certs (believe it was 310-055) without ever haven written a line of Java code in her life. I believe that she used actualtest or certkiller which are just dumps of actual test questions. Now that is cheating.

Spyro
Sr. Project Lead/Manager

PMP, MCAD, MCSD, MCDBA and currently working on MCSA/MCSE

IMHO you will always get what I call Paper qualifiers - in other words people who are good at learning and taking exams but cannot put that into practice in the real world. I have worked with a few of them myself lol

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

All I can say is practice test, practice test, practice test - uCertify, Transcender... whatever.

I would have surely flunked without a practice test... the tests are totally obscure in my opinion.

The questions on my Oracle DBA certification tests were SO much clearer and relevant... I mean, you'd actually have to be a DBA to pass the thing, not just a memorizer of trivia.

Microsoft tests, on the other hand, don't seem to test for ability so much as the ability to memorize little known facts... just my opinion, though.........!

wow! I started this thread a while ago and i noticed one thing. There has not been a response from any MCSE 2003 which makes me think the MCSE 2003 test track is a long and difficult one.

The MCSE track is a hard track to complete (I'm currently two tests short of finishing it). It's much much harder than it used to be to get certified these days.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Like mrdenny, I'm also 2 exams short of MCSE 2003. If work didn't get in the way so much, I'd have done it already...

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Yeah, that pesky work thing does get in the way often.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Hi all,

Well my last post was on the 12th dec, and since then I been studying pretty hard, give or take a few days for the Christmas p*ss ups, and I PASSED the 70-290 exam earlier today with a 792 score. Third time lucky, now I move on the 70-294.

I got 4 SIM questions, 1 covering roaming profiles (changing the NTUSER.DAT to .MAN then specifying the network location for the profile in adcu), another covering Shared and NTFS permission (for this, using the effective permissions technique helped; discover the least restrictive shared permission and least restrictive ntfs permission, then the most restrictive out the two is the effective permission), then the lat two where about user accounts and groups.

In all my tests I’ve had loads of questions on:

• Terminal Server and services. (study the RDP-TCP connections properties)
• Shared and NTFS permissions, know how to work out effective permission.
• Remote administration, fairly straight forward.
• SUS, ah yes, there was also a SIM this so make sure your familiar will all the settings.
• Group memberships; always keep in mind the
A G DL P when answering these questions.

That’s all I can remember anyway.

Well I’m about to start studying for the 70-294, any one taken this exam recently? I hear it’s pretty tough and I don’t expect to pass first time but hey ho, if it was easy, I’d find it boring.

Anyway, still loving, keep jthe psot going.

Ciao.

Smooth23,

Way to go on the 70-290. Any particular reason you're taking 70-294 next? 70-291 covers some of the same material, and some of the additional 70-291 material is repeated again (to a lesser degree) in 70-293 and 70-294.

Wishdiak

Hey wishdiak,

Thanks. The reason why I’m doing the 70-294 next is because i'm just following my MCSE course track provided by Wave Technologies Thomson NetG, and it's in the following order:

270, 290, 294, 291, 293, 297, Exchange Server (Forget the exam code)

Reading the descriptions against each exam, it kind of makes sense

270 - XP administration
290 - environment management and maintenance.
294 - win2k3 ad strategy and implementation
291 - network services and planning
293 - network services management
297 - ad network infrastructure design
Exchange server

But now you mention it, I am a little concerned about whether or not the 291 and the 294 have been mixed up as i have just checked out the MS descriptions. i will enquire about this!!!

Which exams have you completed? And how were they?

Almost everyone follows the sequence of 290,291,293,294. The knowledge you gain from that order helps for the next one. I dont think i would go from 290 to 294 then back to 291 and so on...

just my 2 cents :)

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

Smooth23,

Since you ask, the MS exams I've taken and passed are 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299 and 70-293. This with Security+ earned me MCSA: Security.

I only have 70-294 and 70-298 left for my MCSE: Security, but I can't seem to find the motivation to get into the 70-294 book.

Wishdiak

This is my first post on this forum. I just failed my first attempt at 70-290 yesterday with a 570. I didn't think it was as hard as 70-270 which I passed on my first attempt, but obviously, my score begs to differ.

I had 4 sims or so covering SUS sync, adding two users/changing settings on another, setting shared/NTFS permissions on shared folders. I got tripped up on some of the questions relating to groups: domain vs universal, also where in the network to set up a Terminal Services Server.

I used the MS Press book/CD to prep for this one same as I had for 70-270. If you guys could recommend any additional practice tests, references, study direction, I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping to retest in about 2 weeks.

A+, Network+, MCP

Butcher67,

If you have the Readiness Review CD that should have come with the MS Press 70-290 book, it comes highly recommended in this forum. The questions are not identical to the exam questions, but the subjects and the wording of the questions will help you prepare for the real thing.

And good luck!

Wishdiak

Hi, I just took the 70-229 the other day, passed with an 839 (not nearly as good as I thought I did!)

Well, I don't really care so long as I passed :)

Now I'm freaked out by the 290... should I have picked another exam to take instead??

I took the 290 a couple weeks ago and spent so many hours of studying for it because everyone said it was so tough. I dont think the 290 was all that bad. I even scored a 907 on it first attempt. The 291 was way harder i think. I scored a 766 on it. I got a full lab setup and also 9 years total pc experience.

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

I browsed through the big MS Pres book and mainly studied off the CBT nuggets and train signal videos. I liked the videos much better then reading the book. I got a nice lab setup so I would just do the real thing along with the videos.

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

My track was 270-290-291-284-293-294-297 which worked out very well for me. The 270 through 293 all kind of build on each other and the 294 and 297 both cover AD. 284 was for my MCSA with specialization. In my experience 291 was the hardest and 293 was the easiest. Still need to take 285 for my MSCE specialization. For all my tests I used the M$ Press books and SelfTest Software. Good Luck all

~Walyeska, MCSE 2003, CCNA

That is the exact same track I have planned out. I finished the 291 for the MCSA 2003 and working on my 284 now. Then going back to the 293, 294 and so on to complete MCSE 2003. Then eventually specialization... :)

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back