Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 to 2003 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have two win2000 domain controllers with AD installed. I have two new servers to replace them but I want to run Win2003 server on the new servers. Can I simply dcpromo the 2003 servers and then dcpromo-demote the old 2000 servers once everything has replicated, then go back and change the functional levels once the win2000 servers are demoted and gone?

I dont have exchange, sms or anything like that in this forest/domain.

do i need to do the adprep stuff if the old servers are going to be decommissioned?

Yes, you still have to adprep before introducing the 2003 servers (from the 2nd CD of R2). After you've transferred the FSMO roles over to the new server(s), then you can demote the old ones.

Be sure you also transfer any services the old ones were running (DNS, DHCP, etc.)

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Well you will definitely need to run adprep/forestprep before you introduce a Win2k3 DC into the mix. It's been awhile, but if i recall this has to performed on the DC with the schema master FSMO role.
From there you can install your Windows 2003 servers, DCPROMO them, migrate the FSMO/GC roles from the old servers to the new. Also don't forget to migrate DNS if it is installed on the DCs also
Don't know if I left anything out, others will chime in for sure.

thanks, how "dangerous" is the adprep/forestprep process?

thanks, ill take a look at those. I havnt had much luck with the microsoft documents so far, but these might give me a good starting place.

This is a fairly no brain required process.

Pop in disk two from the R2 disks. Run ADPREP /FORESTPREP. Wait for it to complete. Run ADPREP /DOMAINPREP. Wait for it to complete.

Go to your Win2K3 server and run DCPROMO.

In reading the responses above I think one thing could be misleading. You don't need to do the ADPREP to add the 2003 server to your domain as a member, only to be able to DCPROMO it.

Before switching over to the 2003, do a full inventory on the 2000 machines for any networking services you will need to duplicate on the 2003.

FSMO Roles, GC, DHCP, DNS, WINS, DFS, Printer Shares and File Shares all come to mind.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

yep, thanks for the info.. ive had win2003 member servers for a long time, just been afraid to address the move from 2000 DCs/AD to 2003....

Misleading comment(s)? He stated he wanted to replace his 2000 AD systems with 2003 servers, so that's how we've answered the questions...after all, you can't have FSMO roles on a member server. ;-)

i have used swing migration and they have worked as a charm.
quick overview of how it works
1. upgarde to service pack 4,
2.prepare exsiting 2kdc - adprep and forestprep
3. install a temp 2k3 server (member server)
4. replicate 2000 dc with 2003 server
7. set Global catalog and grab roles
8. clean up on temp server
9. replicate with actual production server

have a look and worth while investing in product.

I was referring to this Davetoo:

you still have to adprep before introducing the 2003 servers

It was the word introducing that made this sound to me like adding to the domain since you did not say:

you still have to adprep before [red]promoting[/red] the 2003 servers

The context to which I read has been asked many times before and I just wanted to be sure it was clear.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Ok...but he clearly asked about replacing the 2000 DC's with 2003 DC's, and I'm confident that any professional reading this forum would have taken my resonse in the correct context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back