Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 to 2003 upgrade all new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdJoey

MIS
Mar 28, 2007
US
Let me first say that I started a thread in the 2003 OS area but did not get an answer to my questions.

Current Setup
2000 AD server (DHCP,WINS,DNS,FILE)
2000 Exchange Server
2003 Member Server

Will purchase new 2003 Server for new exchange Server

Proposed plan for Migration

use ad prep utility and dspromo utility to promte 2003 member server to DC /then demote old 2000ad server to member server

Then Migrate use utility to transfer all mailboxes to new 2003 exchange server

I have seen in a few other forums people recommend to upgrade exchange 2003 first then do the 2003 AD upgrade second? Can anyone verify this and give me any advise on the easiest way to do the migration for both the exchange and AD? Can anyone recommend any utilities that will make my life easier? All advise is welcome

Thanks

Not fully sure of your migration plan. Your Exchange 2003 should not be installed on a DC. THis will cause you problems later down the road if you ever need to DCPROMO the box. Once Exchange is installed, you can't DCPROMO the server.

You seem to be missing some steps.

1. Run ADPREP /FORESTPREP from the Windows 2003 CD
2. Run ADPREP /DOMAINPREP from the Windows 2003 CD

The above prepares the 2000 AD by expanding the schema for Windows 2003 DCs.

You could then install a 2003 server, fully patch it, make it a member of the domain and then run DCPROMO to make it a DC. Also make it a GC. Then transfer the 5 FSMO roles.

On your server to be the 2003 Exchange. You must also run:
1. SETUP.EXE /FORESTPREP
2. SETUP.EXE /DOMAINPREP

The above then further updates the schema for the Exchange 2003 enhancements. You can then install Exchange and use move mailbox wizard to move the mailboxes.

You will then need to uninstall the old Exchange server. Be sure to follow the following to properly remove the old Exchange server from the site.

support.microsoft.com/kb/307917

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thanks Mark

The Exchange 2003 server will be a member Sever.

The Server I planned on using for the AD Server is already Joined to the domain and I planned on making it the AD server using the steps you described above.

I wouldn't do the exchange portion of the upgrade for about 2 months later.

Will I run into problems by doing it this way?

Just watch out for this issue: support.microsoft.com/kb/314649

Should be no other problems.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back