Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 slower than XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theharvester

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hello all. Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes. My computer had Xp Pro and I was getting speed tests in the range of 8K down. Now with 2000 pro my best speeds are in the range of 5-6K. I have Cox HSI 7k package. The only thing I have changed is the operating system. I ran the tweek test and set up the RWIN as suggested by DSL reports with Dr.TCP. Is it possible that Win 2000 is just slower than XP or are there some other tweeking I can do to get my speed back? Computer is a 2.8GHz, 1Gig of ram, 2 serial ATA 500 gig drives set up as Raid 1.

I don't have the technical info on me to back this up, but I believe that XP was made to handle memory much better than 2000 and in turn is faster. In my dealings with the two OS's, I continually notice that XP is faster then 2K no matter how much memory the machine has.

Animal74

Eve was the first hacker... She took a byte from the Apple.

Lemon13,
My MTU is set to 1000
TCP RWIN 161400
I found a reg. hack somewhere after doing some looking and it seemed to help. I still do not see the speeds (speed tests) that I did with XP but at least I an close to the advertised speed Just did one at 6268 up and 525 down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back