Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 Server / XP Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1962

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
GB
We are running Windows 2000 server with approx 350 workstations attached... Most of them are running Windows 2000, however the newer models are running XP Pro... (Approx 80 of them)... The XP machines continually lose connection to the server, not all at the same time, just randomly... Logging off, then back on reconnects them. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Thanks.

Are there group policies involved? If not, have you looked to see if the local policies have an idle time before suspension?

On XP clients:
Make sure IEEE Authentication box is unchecked (under Network Connections > Properties > Authentication tab).
Computer Browser and Web Client services should be Disabled (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

If we are talking about a domain, it would be much easier pushing a group policy down than going to each machine and checking.

beerhunter2,
I don't understand why you would shut off authentication. Authentication is a good thing for a network....

Thanks for the replies :eek:)
It is a domain, and a group policy is used for all users, so what is it I need to set in the Group Policy?

Thanks again

tfg13,
IEEE 802.1x authentication is primarily used for wireless networking. On the wired networks I support, this protocol authentication caused a slowdown in writing (saving) files to a network share.

The following link has some info on IEEE authentication.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

Have you looked at autodiscconect in the registry.
This is at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserverparameters
The current setting is 15minutes of inactivity on the workstation - this forces disconnection from the network.
Change this to ffffffff which should solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back