Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 server remote access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

probeselector

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I need some direction on the following: Dell 2650 blade, netscreen 5gt vpn\firewall, workstations 2000 pro. We need remote access for the workstations. I know how to setup access to the server using terminal services remote. My problem is since we have 2000 pro on the workstations what solution is recommeded. I have thought about pcanywhere, vnc, citrix. Is there a way to install terminal services on the workstations? Any help will greatly apreciated.

doh!
i'm just not reading straight this morning!!

dameware is much used by me here... it can remote install, just as a service as long as you have admin rights on the pc :)

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

RealVNC is insecure, do not run it unless your server is a) NOT directly on the internet, and B) behind a VERY strong firewall. If you are going to remote control to a 2000 server then install Terminal Services in Administration mode. If you are using XP on the client you can access it with Start->All Programs->Accessories->Communications->Remote Desktop Connection.

Note: Server 2003 does not offer Terminal Services in Administration mode, you must buy a Terminal services CAL in order to use it. Wasn't it nice of Microsoft to take this tool away?

-Al

I can get to the server, its the 2000 pro workststions that i need to access.

Dameware is a very useful tool across an entire org. You can manage a lot of network resources (ex. - printers) as well as logging on to servers and workstations. The best part is that it's licensed by network admin not by workstations/servers. So if you are the only tech that will be remote connecting, then it's only one license. Personally I use VNC through our network VPN because I normally don't remote connect too often and also because it's free. But if I was to start doing a lot of remote work, then I'd definitely purchase Dameware. Download the eval of Dameware and see what you think.

I'll also give a thumbs-up to Dameware... I used the eval version for the 30 days and absolutely loved it.. no need to visit each workstation to install the client, active directory integration.. when the eval ran out, I felt like I lost a friend.. lol just have to wait for the boss to approve a purchase order to buy a license.

I failed to mention that i need the employees to access the workstations from home. They are in the power users group. Will dameware still do it

Note: Server 2003 does not offer Terminal Services in Administration mode, you must buy a Terminal services CAL in order to use it. Wasn't it nice of Microsoft to take this tool away?"

Uh yeah it does that's what remote desktop is, it's even installed (but diabled) by default unlike on Windows 2000 Server. Control Panel->System->Remote tab, you don't need TS CALs to use it and it has the same 2 user limit as Windows 2000 TS in Remote Admin mode.

I'd agree Dameware is superior to VNC for an enterprise, but it isn't free :p VNC Enterprise Edition has strong security built in if you've got money to spend.

As for accessing from home, you'd either need the workstations to have real IP's or configure NAT for them and open up the relevant ports on your firewall. Personally I'd probably use Windows VPN on an RRAS server to allow external access and let them remote control once a VPN tunnel is established.

I've noticed that the latest version of Dameware seems to use a LOT more cpu cycles on the client when I remote control it.

Often enough to tip it over the edge to 100% utilisation if it is doing a lot of other stuff which makes it impossibly slow to control.

Anyone else noticed this?

Neill

I have a vpn tunnel using netscreen remote office established. I just need advice on which software to use on the workstations to enable remote access. I have this same setup at another client with 2003 server and xp pro workstations and we use the netscreen vpn and remote desktop that is built in 2003 server and xp. Works great. I see that 2000 pro does not have an option to enable remote access so do i have to use something like vnc, dameware,etc.? Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

there is no remote access integrated to 2000 pro, thats the problem.
Do many users need to really have access to their PCs? or more importantly, access to the network? What makes each user need access to his own machine??

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

So that they can work from home when needed. They have certain database applications the they must run. So it sounds to me that i need one of these remote programs. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back