Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 Server or Server 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GstRdr1

MIS
May 29, 2002
US
My compay is looking to upgrade our server os and upon doing some research I've found that 2000 Server and Server 2003 are basically the same price. My question is which one should I try to push? We are currently running NT4 so either will be a significant upgrade. I've had experience with both, but we are a small company and I'm not sure if the new features of 2003 would be utilized. Also, I'm wondering if 2003 has been on the market long enough for some of the bugs and nuances to be found. Any insight will be greatly appriciated. Thank You.

Marc
MCP -WinXP
-Win2k Server

How small of a company? If you are below 50 users, check out Small Business Server 2003. You get the server, Exchange, and optionally SQLServer. The actual limit is 75 devices, but 50 is a good practical bound.

I would go with 2003 server. There is really nothing that has come out that is a show stopper that is unique to that version.

2003 Server is 15-25% FASTER than 2000 server for file and print services, on identical hardware. Don't put your money in old versions of products, ever. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back