Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 server install

Status
Not open for further replies.

awreneau

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
US
I have a copy of 2000 server however when I boot up the machine and try to test the cd for an install it doesnt boot up from the CD, it's like it never see's it. So my thoughts were could I create an i386 directory and copy the files from the cd there and run the setup from dos?

Thanks

Check the BIOS on the machine and change the boot order, put the CD ahead of the hard drives.

If what CSCFWAdmin says does not work, yes you can copy the I386 to the C Drive. However you will still need to be able to boot up if you are using a brand new or reformatted hard drive. Also make sure you CD-ROM is a bootable type, some are not bootable if they are an older model. If you plan on copying I386 to C:, then you need to boot up with a Floppy Disk like a Win 98 Boot Disk. Or any boot disk that can give you CD-ROM Support and make sure to copy smartdrv.exe to that, it will speed this up.

When at C:>

type cd\i386
not type WINNT

This will prompt you to copy the file to your hard drive and you can install from there.

Good Luck
Narineh, MCSE, MCP, Network+

Already did that. Tried it on 3 machines same results, it just loads current version of windows or command.com, respectivly.

Any other ideas? Will the i386 folder work?

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong and you can curse me at as well,but is that a b-legged copy? Cuz if it is you can only boot from the original copy, either that or you need to get a new cdrom drive.

Have you tried MAKEBT32.exe? You can then boot from the floppies....you'll need 4.

I tried the makeboot and got the floppies but when I run those it reads that it cant find the NT 3.5 or NT 4.0 disk in the cdrom. Kind stressing me out.

Are you running MAKEBT32 from an NT cd or Win2k cd? The Win2k cd should create Win2k boot disks. You should not need the cd until quite far into intallation. I just did this a week ago.

Yes I'm running the makeboot32 from the 2000 server cd. Still no go I could have a screwed up disk i guess.

Damn the booting up, just try to run it from your current OS and setup

I don't like doing it that way i rather do the partitioning and reformat.

Try a network install. Put the i386 directory on a network share and try it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back