Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 professional machines need two logon attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersix

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
I have three machines all running 2000 professional that are experiencing difficulties login into our Novell 5.0 network. After they enter their ID and password (correctly) they get a message telling them the are unable to login. If I click enter to acknokledge the error and immediately enter again without changing anything they login.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, flyersix

Update your Novell client to the latest build. There is a problem with some of the older clients attempting to login before the client completely loads. Novell fixed this by changing the client so that you can not login until everything has completely loaded.

Note: Just because your client shows the newest rev, it may not be the newest build. Novell releases new clients frequently, but if there is a minor change or fix, the rev number does not increment, only the build number.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately it didn't seem to change the login problem.

I have just found out that Novell has a patch out in beta which addresses this bug in their program. Hopefully the non-beta will be out in a week or two. I am waiting on that one.

Thanks for your help.

flyersix

I've got a similar setup on my Network with my first 2 Win2000 systems on a NW 5.0 setup. I run the NT/2000 client version 4.8 and everything works fine. If you are used to Win95/98 you have to remember that the Novell user has to have a Login account on the desktop as well. Also Win2000 is case sensitive so if the user ID and password as entered into the Novell login are different than the Win2000 user ID and password, the second login box will pop up. And don't forget that the default user can be set differently for the Novell login and the Win2000 login, this will cause you to have to login twice.

HTH
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back