Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbe

Vendor
Apr 23, 2000
US
I want to use norton ghost to make image of my 2000 install.

Is there any way to make a boot disk for windows 2000?????

What do you need the boot disk to do??

If you are just wanting to ghost the drive or partition you do not need file system access to it. You can boot with a Win 9x boot disk with Ghost, must be version 6.x for Windows 2000, and run ghost from the diskette.

If the Windows 2000 drive is NTFS, there is no "free" way to get access to it with a boot disk. If the drive is FAT32, then a Windows 95b or Windows 98 boot disk will give you access to it.

But what if Win98 (or for that matter, any other windows version)is not available, Is there not a way to create a SIMPLE bootable floppy Win2000?????

Same as the WINNT

Place a blank floppy disk in drive A and format the disk using Windows NT or Windows 2000.

From the root folder of the system partition of your hard disk drive (for example, C:\-), copy the following files to the floppy disk: Boot.ini, NTLDR, and Ntdetect.com.

NOTE: You may have to remove the hidden, system, and read-only attributes from the files.

Restore the hidden, system, and read-only attributes to the files on your hard disk.

If either the Bootsect.dos or the Ntbootdd.sys file resides in the system partition, perform steps 2 through 4 above to copy these files to the boot disk as well.

There is also a scheme in windows 2000 where it will automaticaly create a boot disk in system i think but i cant remember where it it exactly look around in the control panel sorry i cant remember exactly since i dont ever make boot disk [sig]<p>Frazell Thomas<br><a href=mailto:frazell@flashcom.net>frazell@flashcom.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A Certified Win98 And Mac Pro By Brainbench.com. Im still young only 15 if anyone can recommend or teach me to program email me please thanks[/sig]

Run makeboot.exe from the boot disk folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back