Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 adminpak on XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grshopper

MIS
May 1, 2002
US
After posting this under the XP forum, I thought that I might get a faster response here....

I have not tried it yet for myself, but have been told by our Hardware/Network manager that the AdminPak for Windows 2000 will not load on XP. Has any one tried this, or seen a newer adminpak for XP?

The reason I ask is we have a Windows 2000 domain that I must be able to administer user accounts on, but I also have to support some home users with their VPN connections to work, and more and more of them are getting Windows XP and having no working knowledge of the product it gets difficult some times. I would really like to be able to run Windows XP on my laptop and still be able to access Active Directory from the laptop. I have thought of Terminal services, but getting the network admin to create the profile for us is difficult.

Thanks for any help on this in advance. ---------------------------------------
A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified Proffesional
---------------------------------------

It loads and works fine with XP Pro.

Never try it on XP Home. Anyway, don't think it will work at all without the domain connection.

thanks felix, I am just taking this on the word of the manager and have not had a chance to talk to the Domain Admin.

I just did not want to waste the time to load Xp on the laptop to find out that it does not work and have to restore the 2k load. I would not care so much but I had to give my PC up for a couple of weeks so we could replace a production machine that had died. In the end the giving up of the pc will be worth it because I will be going from a PIII-733 to a P4-1.7, not too bad a trade off. ---------------------------------------
A+ Certified

Just in case, you can always download the .NET adminpak, which is compatible with XP Pro.

Do not install Windows 2000 adminpak on XP pro, it won't work. You're gonna be warned anyway if you try to install it. You have to install .NET adminpak, like Brontosaurus said.

Thanks for the info Bronto and Niavlys. I got a chance to talk to the domain admin who has XP pro pro on his laptop, and he said that when I'm ready to load XP to come see him and he'll get me the .net cd with the adminpak on it. Looks like that will be my weekend project. ---------------------------------------
A+ Certified

You can download it right from the Microsoft download site.

Make sure it's XP pro, XP home has almost no networking installed. Don't really know anything about the admin pack, just that xppro and home differences. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

I have been trying to figure out how to get terminal services running on XP Pro like I had it on 2000 Pro and found this thread very helpful. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find .NET Admin Pack for download. I know it is there on the MS site but I must be looking in the wrong or looking for the wrong name. What exactly am I looking for?

Thanks

I won't use XP. W2K the best they came up with, ms shouldn't mess with it. $ is bottom line. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Uniformity is death, diversity is life."
Mikhail A. Bakunin (1814-1876); Russian writer and revolutionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back