Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

200 GB HD problem... bizzare

Status
Not open for further replies.

btbenev

MIS
Apr 22, 2008
I have a 200 GB Seagate hard drive, regardless of what computer I connect it to it shows up as a 137,XXX,XXX,XXX byte (128GB) hard drive. I initially thought this was a matter of my BIOS being out of date or my OS not being fully patched, but as I tried to rectify those issues, the problem remained, so I moved the drive to another computer and the problem remained, i have now connected this to 10+ computers and the drive is always shown as 128 GB with no additional space to build a partition on. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this. (When the drive was new it appeared as a full 200 GB, but this was some number of years ago...) Is there a firmware update for these drives? Thanks!

Connect it to a WinXP SP2 PC and format it. Check out this thread:

thread751-1375613

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yes, I have done that. Under Disk Management it shows up with the dimensions I listed previously. Recently I bought a MacBook Pro, I tried connecting it to that also out of curiousity but again, the drive shows up as a 128 GB drive. No matter what OS, or update level, the highest drive capacity I see available on this drive is 128 GB (looking at disk size, not partition size). I am thinking the firmware on the drive may have become damaged. I am running it through DBAN now not expecting any change, but hoping for one...

Try a Third Party utility like Partition Magic see if it can pick up the full size of the drive for you to format.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I just tried using partition commander and again, I only saw the familiar 127.99 GB... Any thoughts?

Have you tried Seagate's own tools. Maybe DiscWizard can identify the full size of your hard drive and set it up correctly.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Just wondering you state the size is showing as 128GB inside of windows, what does it state from the BIOS?

MCSA

Echoing vacunita - I'd definitely use the dos version of Seatools - have found the windows version ineffective in a number of situations.

Also you said you were running dban - which wipes the drive, including mbr & partition tables - & that made no difference?

Just a thought - lots of drives have a 'limiting' jumper to enable the drive to be used on older motherboards which can't see their full size. 128GB is one of those limits - so you haven't got such a jumper set?

Vacunita -
I have tried seagate's tools, I don't recall what it determined so i'll run through that again to get specifics...

M1ckG -
The BIOS also sees the drive as 128 GB (consistantly on many dissimilar machines ranging from a few years old to less than a month old).

Wolluf -
Yeah, a full DBAN wipe resolved absolutely nothing... I've tried many combinations of jumper settings, I am not reluctant to repeat any testing though if anyone has suggestions. Presently I only have the jumper for "Master" on.

All -
I have so far neglected to include the drive's model, it is ST3200822A Barracuda 7200.7 200Gbytes

I will post results from the DOS version of SeaTools once I have them.

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far.

Ok, SeaTools shows me that the drive is configured for 48 bit addressing, but the drive is reported as having a capacity of 137 GB I suppose this software just calculates the size using 1000B = 1KB instead of 1024B = 1KB

One interesting find in the SeaTools app, the "Max Native Address" is 390721967 and the "Number of LBAs" is 268433407.

I have tried correcting this through the SeaTools application without any success... Any thoughts?

That model has a 5 year warranty according to Seagate site - is yours less than 5 years old? - if so, I'd get it replaced.

There have been one or two posts like this I've seen over the last several years - lost capacity for no good reason, tried everything - and I haven't seen a resolution.

Seagate's site says I'm out of warranty, I think I bought it a few months prior to the 5 year warranty's introduction. maybe I can find one to swap PCB's with. :p

Generally in the past any time I have had a HDD reporting incorrect size in the BIOS the drive has been beyond repair, I would suggest a new drive.

MCSA

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but as the drive *seems* to be working properly in all other aspects I was hoping for a way to re-build the drive's firmware. I agree though. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I would suggest you replacing that drive. We've seen such cases in the lab. Firmware corruption. Can be done, and in reality it's not a big deal; however problem may come back.

Best Regards,
Karen
Capita Data Recovery Inc.

Drives are so cheap now it's not worth the time or effort.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back