Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 x Memory = No AGP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeRG

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
I have just built a new system using a P4-1.8Ghz cpu on an Abit BD7-Raid MoBo. If I use 2 x 512Mb DDR's, the system will only fire up in 640x480x16 on an AGP card. It will run all colours and resolutions with a PCI graphics card. If I remove either memory stick, leaving one, it runs with the AGP card perfectly. So far I have tried another Mobo, another pair of DDR's 420w PSU and 3 different AGP cards. Could a faulty P4-1.8 cause this problem or do I need to change something in the cmos-setup?
O/S = W98-SE
Someone please help - This is becoming the most expensive upgrade I have done so far
Regards to All - Mike

Windows 98SE carn't use all that memory properly!!
I think the limit on 98 is something like 384mb?
I know it's not an issue on 2000, XP not sure about ME (although I think it is OK).
I am sure someone will comment with more detail.
Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Thanks paparazi,
98SE recognises the 1Ghz (100Mb) Ok.
If I install a PCI graphics card everything works fine.

My sincere thanks to Jakespeare (Vendor).
His reply in another thread pointed me in the right direction and after various web searches I found the answers to these problems at www.aumha.org/a/memmgmtz.htm and These sites have the answers and explanations.
In short; I added the following lines to the [vcache] section of the system.ini file, installed the two 512Mb DDR's, fired up - hey presto everything is working brilliantly on the ATI AGP card.
---------------
[vcache]
MaxFileCache=512000
chunksize=2048
namecache=4096
directorycache=96

---------------

Thanks and kind regards to everyone
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search