Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2-Way Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supra

Programmer
Dec 6, 2000
US
I recently developed a 2-way encryption method to use on my website. I ported the method over to Perl and it seems to work well, however it was my first attempt at encryption with no prior experience whatsoever, so I'm a little sketchy about using it to protect passwords of my members. The encrypted values are stored in cookies and the cookie is checked against the user/password combination in the SQL database when visiting a page. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum, and if not please advise, but I would like to see if anyone can crack this encryption. Here is the encrypted string (20 characters):
Code:
dhDIDHEAdhea@df-dhdh:fj*'dd-DGDF$EH@DIDEdgDGdhdedgdj?EC+DGdf.dj!DIdfDHdddgE
A@ge|DGDF.fi`dideDHdddgeaDGeadheb=BCE=DHdj~gb&-JF=-ed@ecDE!DJ@/bcg?DHdh`EF@
&ge\ECdg\eg#EBEC!FJ#ECDE'dg=|eg&DHdh$jc@:DJ!ECdg+FJ/ecdd.dh;ecDE+EC\;jg?DHd
h.bce!:gd@ECDG%DD%ECde_:JB$=EE!.jd?jb#JB-;ee;!JD#jc|jb*`ee@&JD=JD/JB?+EE?.j
d.JE\jb!.EE&|JD|IJJD'JB#\EE/\JD/IJje?JB@@ee\.JD:ijJF*jb';ee.*JD.IJJG$JB+%EE
/*jd$jaij$jb/|ee%.JD-jaJA+jb*&ee*-JD@jaJF|JB%@ee!;jd!jaJG|JB~#EE%&jd~JAjh-J
B!%ee\;jd?JBII$JB.\EE|+JD/JBIJ@JB~!ee=-JD\JBja`JB@*ee|*JD=jbjc'jb=@ee#\jd%j
bJD%jb$.EE:=JD@JBJF&JB=/ee!&JD-JBJG~JB~:EE$+jd.jbJH\JB~@ee`*JD?JCII;jb?;ee`
|jd=jcjd?jb!/EE.$JD;JCJE-jb+@EE;#JD-JGIJ!jb;.EE+$JD=jgja&JB=?ee-;JD!jgJD-jb
&\ee!.JD&JGJE

I don't think so (its actually been 8 or 9 years since I read the first book in the series) but I believe they ask the supercomputer they built to give them the ultimate answer. To which it responded 42. Then they asked what the question was and it said it couldn't figure that out.

They had to build an experiment to find the answer, one that would take 5 million years or something like that (Earth was the expriment). And the experiment was 5 minutes away from being completed......

Supra-
Post that code to a security newsgroup such as alt.security or some other group. SOMEONE will be able to break it probably... Post back here when they do...

I think that the accepted consensus on encryption and crypto in general, is that developing your own crypto is okay but don't expect it to be as strong as say AES or SHA or something that has been hammered at by experts for years. Like GVN said, 'post back WHEN they do', not IF. More than likely just because a few of us try and then you try and then we say, 'hey we couldn't break it so it's safe' doesn't really help you out at all.
I can understand from the challenge POV of wanting to learn how it works and how to implement it but only for experimental purposes-I'd feel wary about subscribing to your site if I thought you were using some proprietary encryption algorithm.

I've tried to get people to break your code, but they are asking me what the general method of encryption is. Is it shuffling prime numbers, Ceasar shift, or some other method?

As one guy said, 'For a crypto system to be
any good, then the cipher text has to be able to hold up even if the attacker knows the system used to create it. Otherwise it's nothing more than "security through obscurity."'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back