Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 WAN Ports - Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNJQuintin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2008
CA
Hello. I am wondering if it is possible to have 2 WAN adapters setup. I see on my SIP trunking setup the option to choose an alternate WAN port, but it is not configured. If I go through the config at the console, I get prompted to pic the NICs, but if I pick more than 1 on the WAN setup, it wants to BOND them...there seems to be no option to configure a second WAN port with different IP settings...I would like to have that available to flip between 2 ISPs when one has an issue, to ensure that our SIP trunk stays running.

I apologize if this has been talked about, I searched, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Quintin

Thanks for your reply.

I have Mitel Border Gateway on a VM. Have the VM setup with 3 NICs - 1 for local access, one for public, and a spare...I would like the spare one to also have a public address on it so that I can flip between ISPs for my SIP trunk on that device.

Version of MBG is: 11.0.0.309

I see that it can change between WAN ports in the screenshot attached, but I can't see to find a place to configure both NICs...how do I configure that third NIC?

Thanks!

Quintin

MBG_y89qhj.png

Using Putty login to the MSL interface as admin. From there you can configure the server NIC settings in step 2 - Configure this server.

My understanding is to connect to a second ISP link, you would need to deploy another vMBG with a separate SIP trunk interface.

correct for proper MBG resiliency - 2 MBG cluster them set one as backup zone

each have their own Public IPs

when handset conencts to the primary , it supplies the Public IP of the backup server so that if the primary is down the teleworker fails over to the backup
- only issues is you have to force them back manually

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am only hoping to be able to manually change the WAN interface in the web gui if we have an ISP issue, not worried about auto failover at this point.

@SXWizard: So at the shell prompt in Putty, logged in as admin, how would I configure that adapter (I am familiar with Linux - several different distros)? I cannot seem to find the config files (well I found some, but they say not to modify them, as they will be auto generated)...so, where do I configure them? Are there config files somewhere that I need to change, or is there a setup utility for the network adapters?

Thanks so much for any help here.

Quintin

When you connect with Putty use admin as the username, not root. This will bring up the admin menu. Select 2 to configure the server.

Ahhh, got it...but, that is the same thing as accessing it via the console. All it allows you to do is to select both adapters and BOND them together...I don't want that, I want a second WAN connection on a different ISP...is that not possible?

Thanks,

Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back