Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 vlans and resource sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonNguyen

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2000
US
I have a Catalyst 6509 switch.

I'm trying to setup 2 vlans (ie: vlan 100 and 200). How do I setup the switch so that my print server can service both vlans? Thanks in advance....

Jason,

The only way you can traverse a VLAN is to route. You'll have to either install a router, MSM card, or you can install two NICs in your server and make it "dual-homed".
jjk

John Kowalski
john.kowalski@eds.com

I've considered using a "dual-homed" server. Although, I used a print server in my example, I wanted to also share my dhcp and login server using the same method as described earlier. I would have to do the same for each server that I want to share.

I'm also using a class C network. We are a school that has two distinct group; faculty and students. Using the method described above, wouldn't I need to have two dhcp servers or scopes to distribute different configurations (I would need to have two configurations because I don't think I could have two NICs on the same server with the same IP addresses). How would I configure it so that faculty would get one set of configuration and students get another set?

How would MSFC work in this situation? All I know about MSFC is that it can perform routing. I am also running Windows 2000.

You just need 1 dhcp server and 2 scopes. You do need two nic's on the server to perform the routing (1nic 192.68.0.0 & 2nd nic 210.0.0.0 example)Also add the rip protocol for routing between subnets. Make sure each client has the correct gatway. any questions post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back