Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 versions of Crystal on the same PC? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthe99

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2003
US
I hope this isn't a senseless question however I am really in a quandry. I write basic reports for my hospital and currently have about 150 reports in version 8.5. My software vendor suggested that I not upgrade to version 9 as there are a few things about the new version that I won't like. Problem- The reports for my Help Desk software upgrade requires version 9.

Question: Can I load 2 versions of crystal on the same pc and alternate based on the report? Or am I just going to have to write reports on 2 different pc's? Thanks in advance.

I have both 8.5 and 9.0 on my PC without any problems.

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Just keep in mind that a report modified in v9 can't ever be run in v8.x, no way to save as a prior version.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

Try rerunning the Install for v8.5 and just installing the help. Some v8.x installs don't get help even without v9. I think it depends on your OS and the version of IE but I forget the details.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

The only problem I've had with having v8.5 and v9.0 on the same PC is it's integration with VB6. If you let it (CR v9.0) integrate with VB6, then all compiled apps will use the Crystal 9 DLLs instead of the Crystal 8.5 DLLs. Just hit "cancel" when it asks for the CR9 cd in VB6 to get around this. Not sure if I'm the only one affected by this or not. I had to uniunstall CR 8.5, CR 9.0, and VB6 then reinstall them to get it to work properly again. :p
Brett (smsforce)

--------------------------
Please visit my website!

Here's another issue/solution (taken as-is from a recent Crystal Decisions newsletter):
-----------------------------------------------------
Issue: Reports with charts terminate if created on a side-by-side install
computer.

Details: Crystal Reports (CR) 9 is installed side-by-side on a computer
with CR 8.5. When a report with a chart, created in CR 8.5 on the
side-by-side install computer, is opened on a computer that only has CR
8.5, CR terminates.

Solution: ---------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

The has been a few problems with dual installs. One being that on certain installs, when you try and add more than one table in CR9 it crashes.

We use a piece of software called VMWare (
This allows for multiple o/s to be run simultaneously and also different sofware on each o/s. Each is indepentdant to the other but each can be accessed as if it were networked.

Hello, all,

This is a different flavor of the same question: can I have an installation of CR 8.5 Professional and CR 8 Web Components on the same server? My situation is similar to the origin of this thread - a "forced" upgrade due to Help Desk software, but we lost the Web components in the later version. [mad]

I'm hopeful that there is a way to have both items coexist in the same place, so that we can use the vital features of the 8.5 with the new Help Desk upgrade, but also be able to retain the ability to access reports outside of the Help Desk package, as we are doing now with the Web Components.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Susan

I run 8.5 and 9.0 on my machine
(knock-on-wood) with no problems
yet.

But, the default directory for
open/save is the one I used last
so I have to be careful.

Hi,
The only other issue I have faced with both 8.5 and 9 ( I also have a 7, but not used much anymore), is when dbl-clicking a .rpt file, the newest install association was used so all reports came up in CR9 - a little fiddling with the 'Open with' option fixed it. (We use CR9 only for new features testing, and need 8.5 for Production since our CE is 8.5)

[profile]

Hi, all,

I appreciate everyone's input - but I am still looking for someone who can respond regarding CR 8 Web components and 8.5 Pro on the same Web server. Thanks! [santa]

Susan

Hi, Oh..I misunderstood..We have the old CR8 web components ( pageserver and web component server) running on the same box as a CR8.5 Pro installation ( we use the designer to edit reports and test connectivity before copying the report to the production web folder) This is part of a legacy system we are migrating to CE8.5 ..
The CR8 web components can run reports designed in CR8.5.

No issues as I can tell.

[profile]

This is wonderful news, Turkbear - thank you very much! You've made my day, my week, and my year! Happy Holidays!

Susan

Hi,
No problem, but I do recommend moving to CE-- Altho' it is expensive the differences in reliability and flexibility are extensive - we have had many problems with the older version 'hanging' up the entire web site and needing a reboot to fix..( Part of that is Window's fault, but we are still using Windows with our CE8.5 and it has been solid as a rock)

Since CR8.5 reports can be used in both systems, you will not lose what you have designed but you may want to redesign some of them, since you may have had to code some 'workarounds' for Crystal Web 8's limitations (using multiple value parameters and/or remembering what order you defined them ( prompt0,prompt1, etc) to cite a few we found)

[profile]

I will definitely keep it in mind, then - thanks again for the help! :)

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back