Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2-up Saddle Stitch Document...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ally2569

Technical User
Aug 25, 2003
US
I have a 40 page 8.5 x 11 document in Quark Xpress that I need to make into a 2-up Saddle Stitch 11x17 Document. I'm rather rusty in my Quark skills. Any notion on how to go about this?

Thanks for any clues...

If you are sending the job out to a repro house for films/plates, they will have the software to arrange your single pages into the required spreads.
If you need to view the double page spreads then do it this way
In the Document Layout palette drag page no.3 up to the right of page no.2, P5 next to P4, P7 next to P6 and so on. But remember this is NOT the layout for printing.
Also remember to remove any bleed from the inside edges of each page.

I'll second that - it's not the designer's responsibility to work out the imposition. In fact, many printers hate when designers even try, because it invariably messes up their own software.

If you have to plan it yourself, though, here's a tip. Add one to the number of pages in your document (40 pages + 1 = 41). Each spread should now add up to that total, alternating between the high & low page numbers. So, your first spread will be page 40 and page 1. Next, page 2 & 39 (2+39 = 41). Then, 38 & 3, 4 & 37, 36 & 5, etc.

Thanks for the quick response...

Let me clarify a bit...

I work for a small printer where I am foremost a designer, yet from time to time expected to do pre-press duties...Thus far, the artwork that I have been designing has been (low page) documents that do not require any type of "book" function.

We are on a direct-to-plate system where I can send my files directly over the network in order to have them print on plates. Easy enough.

Anyhow, as we have been expanding a bit, we are now getting files in from companies. The files that we are receiving include books... both done on pagemaker as well as qxp. A few years back I was pretty savvy with qxp, but I have done a conversion over to pagemaker.

Since I think of myself as a designer, and definately not a techie... if there is additional software that we would need in order to get qxp to print 2-up saddle stitch, etc... I wouldn't even know where to begin. Why would it require additional software anyhow??? Pagemaker just has the Build Booklet Function. weird.

So, hope this helps with my dilemma... and maybe you can help further. Thanks.

Ally

Good advice from Blueark. Do you have A3 or A2 presses? If A3 then it's pretty straightforward - you're simply working with the final print layout as double page spreads. Make up a miniature 40 page book and number the pages, then take them apart to see which pages print together and which spread prints on the reverse of the sheet. Plus cover.
However, it becomes more complex if you're printing on A2, since you will need a 4 page layout plus reverse. Surely your printers can advise you on the required imposition.
A 40 page A4 booklet isn't too bad to do by hand but if the business continues to increase and you get jobs with scores or even hundreds of pages, then it would certainly be worthwhile to invest in additional software to do the imposition. Extensis do a product for this job.

Thanks for all your help...
I think I'll be good to go...

If you are creating a large saddle stitch book that has bleed in the center fold then its best to create it in single pages not spreads adding bleed all around.
the reason for this is a saddle stitch gets an 1/8 bleed in the gutter for grind off. If you create it in spreads then your printer will have to convert it to single pages and then add bleed.

Thom

The longest jounney starts with the first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back