Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Questions: Licensing Install and Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd2

Technical User
Sep 1, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have two questions, first some background info:

We are running SQL 2000 on a Windows 2003 server for out aircraft parts database software.

There are 7 workstations (windows 2000 and XP) that run the parts database.

4 of those workstations run really fast, the database calls are near instant. but the other 3 identical workstations are incredibly slow. Taking over a minute to load what takes the other workstations less then 2seconds, etc...

Since each workstation is identical (all XP are the same, all 2K are the same) my first thought was that we didn't have enough SQL CAL licenses for the 7 workstations, thus the 4 licenses we had were allowing some to run fast, but the other 3 were qued up until space became free, or something like that.

We purchased an additional 3 CAL licenses, but I'm not sure how to install them...

My first question:

How do you actually go about installing SQL CAL licenses?
I went on the MS website, and it says to simply open up the control panel, go into the SQL license Manager, and turn the spinner up to the # of licenses you have.
Which I did.
Is that all there is to it?
I can't imagine you would simply be on your honor to put that spinner to the correct number of licenses.

Question # 2
If that IS the correct way to install your licenses...
It made no difference in the 3 workstations SQL speed.
Yes I restarted the SQL service after upping the license amount.

These workstation are the same speed on the network as the "fast" workstations in every other application and when sending files, etc...

Any help greatly appreciated!
Take care

Are all the workstations running the same queries/programs or different queries? Have you checked services and network protocols on the 3 workstations in question?

Does the server actually slow down when these three workstations are online? Are the other workstations affected when these 3 are having problems or is it literally only the workstations themselves having problems?

Run a SQL Server profiler (this will tell you if it is a query issue) and use the NT logins on those workstations to filter your details. See if you can locate via Profiler what might be causing the problem. You might also run a Network monitor on them (or get a sniffer) if it doesn't appear to be a SQL problem.

I've found by turning of the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service and the Distributed Link Tracking Client in the machines sometimes helps with SQL access. BEFORE you do that, however, run the Profiler and the sniffer. Also, verify there aren't multiple unneeded network protocols on those machines and that they only have the services running that they need to have.

Hope this helps.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Remember, "Work" is a four letter word. And you know what your mother told you about using four letter words!

Hi Catadmin,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Here's a little more background info:

The "fast" workstations are not effected by the slow ones, the server runs at full speed.

The strange thing is, one of the fast computers all of a sudden became slow, and a slow machine bacame fast. Nothing was changed hardware / settings wise, which is what led me to think that maybe it was an "insufficient license" issue (first come-first server type thing...

But now we do have the proper number of SQL licenses, but there are still 3 slow workstations...

------

I am at the office right now, and have been trying your suggestions.
I also tried running the profiler, and all the query's coming through look ok, I didn't see anything abnormal. I had people log in / out one at a time from fast and slow workstations, and they all said the same things in the profiler.

Thanks again for any suggestions, it's a strange situaton.

hd2 said:
The strange thing is, one of the fast computers all of a sudden became slow, and a slow machine bacame fast. Nothing was changed hardware / settings wise, which is what led me to think that maybe it was an "insufficient license" issue (first come-first server type thing...

Uuuuuhhhhhhh...

Not to be an alarmist, but that statement thinks you're running in the wrong direction. At this point, my instinct is to recommend a full virus scan of every workstation, including the server, running something like Ad-Aware or SpyBot Search & Destroy after the virus check, then verify the users don't have things like "WeatherBug", "WeatherChannel", "YahooRadio", "MSN <or appropriate ISP> Messanger", "MIRC" or "IRC" or anything like that on their system.

It sounds like to me that something is passing itself amongst your workstations like the common cold moves through a kindergarten class.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Remember, "Work" is a four letter word. And you know what your mother told you about using four letter words!

To re-write my first sentence in the last post...

"Not to be an alarmist, but that statement *makes me think* you're running n the wrong direction."

Instead of "statement thinks" which makes no sense unless it's really late at night and you haven't gotten any sleep for a week. @=)

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA

Something to check is the Max concurrent user connections.

In Enterprise Manager, right click the server, Connections Tab. Make sure that is set to the number of licenses you have.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the tips.

I scanned each workstation for viruses / spyware, no viruses, and I removed the standard collection of spyware junk from those that had it.
Nothing found on the server, it's locked in its own room and is not used by anyone.

The maxuser connections is set to 0 (unlimited), I set it to 10 just for kicks and it made no difference, so its back to unlimited.

I've tried forcing the workstations network cards to talk at 100 / full instead of auto, just incase but no difference.

The thing that gets me the most is the one workstation that use to be fast, then went slow, and the slow workstation that bacame fast at the same time...
But nothign was changed with either system's setup.

The physical network setup is like this:

Approx. 20 computers (mix of windows XP and 2000pro) hooked into a 24port switch (10/100 all running at 100)
1 windows 2003 server
1 linksys router hooked into the switch for our DSL connection

Each workstation is assigned a static IP:
192.168.205.xxx

The router is 192.168.205.2 so each workstation has a gateway of 192.168.205.2

The DNS on each machine is supplied by Sympatico (our DSL provider).

Half the workstations are on a workgroup called "AIR" the other half are on a workgroup called "FC"

The fast and slow machines are on both workgroups.

The database program is installed on each workstation, and they have the appropriate folder on the server mapped as "Z:"

I hope that makes a bit of sence, and thank you for all your help!
Take care
Aaron

Did you verify no one was running those little programs constantly connected to the internet on the slow machines? (WeatherBug, StockUpdate, etc.)

What were the results of your Profiler / network sniffer tests?

Do the users connect to the server via SQL Client Tools or on a 3rd party app via ODBC connections? If the later, check what network protocol the ODBC connections are using and seeing if changing it helps.

Lastly, this may sound like a silly test, but it's worth a shot. Have everyone shut down their machines. Have one of the slow PCs log into the system and see what their speed is like. If it's fast, log in the next user and see about their speed while 2 people are logged into the network. Keep doing this until you get your first slow machine. If this is a general network issue, the slow users which you logged in first should be fast and the fast users you logged in last should be slow. If the slow users are still slow, it might be something to do with their machines or their connections to SQL.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all your help.

The workstations are not running any annoy-ware (weather checkers, P2P file sharing, etc...).
When I ran the profiler I had a fast machine login and connect, then I had a slow machine do the exact same (same user name login and everything).
It showed the identical values, other then the machine ID, and delay times were different.

I'll have to go check how the program connects to the SQL server.
The way it works is, the parts database program that runs on the workstation is installed locally, with a mapping to data files on the server (Z:)
When you run the parts program, it asks you for a login / password, then connects to the SQL database.

One thought I had (call the fire dept.!) was, each workstation when turned on, logs into windows using the same login/password.
So I have about 18 or so machines all logging into windows with "workstation" username.
Could this effect performance?
I don't see how, but just incase.

Thanks again, I'm off to the airport now to try the one-at-a-time login, see if that changes the speed of a slow machine.

Cheers!
Take care!

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all your help.

The workstations are not running any annoy-ware (weather checkers, P2P file sharing, etc...).
When I ran the profiler I had a fast machine login and connect, then I had a slow machine do the exact same (same user name login and everything).
It showed the identical values, other then the machine ID, and delay times were different.

I'll have to go check how the program connects to the SQL server.
The way it works is, the parts database program that runs on the workstation is installed locally, with a mapping to data files on the server (Z:)
When you run the parts program, it asks you for a login / password, then connects to the SQL database.

One thought I had (call the fire dept.!) was, each workstation when turned on, logs into windows using the same login/password.
So I have about 18 or so machines all logging into windows with "workstation" username.
Could this effect performance?
I don't see how, but just incase.

Thanks again, I'm off to the airport now to try the one-at-a-time login, see if that changes the speed of a slow machine.

Cheers!
Take care!

Ok, here's a little update.

I figured out what was causing the 2000pro workstation to slow down, it was MS hotfix KB885835

Once I removed that hotfix from each 2Kpro workstation, it became significantly faster.

It does not seem to effect the XP workstation however, so I'm still playing with them.

Thank for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back